MAC PRO equivalent

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zoran, Sep 22, 2009.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

Is there anything out there (either Dell or HP) that can be compared as far as the specs is concerned with any MacPro version?
    And what about their prices?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dell Precision T7500 is quite Mac Pro like PC. I recommend you to build one yourself, it's much cheaper and if you're not comfortable of doing it, ask your friend to build it. Also many computer shops offers building for ~50$

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

To all of them if you configure them so.

5. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

XW6600 from HP... very close in price and hardware specs to my 2008 Mac Pro.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sun Ultra 27 is an equivalent to the '09 Quad. Additional options, and cheaper too (W3520, base MSRP $1595USD). :)

They also offer Dual Processor systems, but the cases are rackmount, so they more resemble an XServe (E5520, ~$2800USD base).

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not sure really.

Take Dell for example. The web gives one price, and they'll quote a lower cost over the phone (and honor it). So I find it best to call. ;)

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Single socket systems are cheaper, dual socket are of similar prices. The bigger differences are that systems from the likes of Dell and HP can be configured with very minimal components and you can get the processors and memory elsewhere for a lot less. As nanofrog said, calling these companies will get you better prices.

10. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Suggest to build it yourself as you know whats in it and will perform better. I did it and definately cheaper. If you still want OS X, pay attention to the mobo as not all will work as a hackintosh. Here is what I built:
    ASUS DSBV-DX Dual LGA 771 Intel 5000V SSI CEB 1.1 Dual Intel Xeon Server Motherboard - Retail 239.00
    Dynatron H6EG 60mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail 39.99
    FSP Group FSP600-80GHN 600W Single Server Power Supply - OEM 85.99
    Thermaltake Xaser VI VG4000BNSB Black Aluminum ATX Full
    Tower Computer Case - Retail $164.00
    2 Xeon E5420 2.5ghz (used from ebay) $450.00
    4GB ram I think 150.00
    250gb hard drive (had one laying around)
    OS win7 (RC1) Free beta
    Not that hard to do if you've been around computers for awhile.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you get into DIY'ing a system, then you have multiple factors that you can change off the closest specifications to which ever MP you'd like to approximate. (i.e. Recycled parts from stuff lying around such as a case, lower spec PSU, ECC or non ECC if possible,...) that affect the final cost. Significantly in some cases. :)

Your listing is a Harpertown system, but the OP might be interested in Nehalem. And that's assuming they have the skills and willingness to do it as well. ;) :p

12. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Yeah, I was just giving an example of costs to the OP. i7 chips are definately cheaper than xeons. Allot depends on if you want new or used stuff too. As for willingness to do it, if you know what you want and have some skills or friends help, it can be done.

13. goMac macrumors 603

Errrrr. That's a Harpertown. Not equivalent to the current Mac Pros.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

I understand. :)

It will depend on the specific chip with Nehalem. The SP W35xx and i7 clock equivalents sell at the same cost from Intel. That doesn't mean the street prices will be the same, but should be close. At that point, the need (or lack of) ECC support can make the difference.

For DP boards, they are what they are, as there aren't any equivalents. But the Harpertown parts, particularly the 1600MHz FSB models are still sort of high. So it will depend on the board and exact clock speed comparision if the builder wants to compare them, and assuming the Nehalem would even offer an advantage.

OC capable boards on the Harpertowns could swing things in it's favor too, if you can find them. The Intel SkullTrail is still available, and ASUS made the Z7S WS board, but I've not seen anyone with them in stock lately (better board too IMO). That can allow less expensive parts to be comparable in terms of performance, yet at a lower cost, despite the cost of the board (well made up for due to the cost of the processors).

Used is also an option, but not reliable, or even acceptable by some (want warranties, even if they have to send in individual components if something goes bad). Though I like it, assuming you get what you paid for (exact P/N match, and fully functional). :)

15. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

ok guys, i get it, but the real question is, can i buy a dell or hp or watever equivalent to a MPro and get away with it with better price?
    Can an equivalent be better in all ways? Performance, quality, design, ergonomics, reliability and os!
    Adding all these up can you get a cheaper/better equivalent to a MPro?

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Performance - Same
    Quality - Depends on brand but MP's quality id great
    Design - IMO MP is the best looking one
    Reliability - Same
    OS - Windows is worse than OS X IMO!

Why don't you get a Mac Pro?

17. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Cheaper, probably
    Reliability, NO
    The OS is what rounds out any computer. You can have the best built computer in the world, only to have it crash constantly due to a crappy OS. All OS's have there share of problems. Some more than others. Go with what your comfortable with. If a mac pro has the apps that will work for you, get it. If Dell or HP has the apps that work for you, get it. One big question is, do you need 9 or more cores to accomplish your goals? If not, get a quad nelham (8 total cores) from whoever.

18. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

I have been running Vista 64 bit os on my HP6600 for a while, and then loaded the Windows 7 64 bit. Both were rock solid. I still prefer my Mac OS, but not once did the HP crash. I use it for games. I also use it to dual boot into Ubuntu. Also no crashes ever.

19. frimple macrumors 6502

Yeah I've got to agree with you (and will probably catch some flames for it). I've got Vista 32 and 64 bit and they've been nothing but reliable for me. :cool:

Windows stability gets touted as a serious issue and reading these forums you'd probably think that it crashes every 20 minutes, but it's not that bad, I can't tell you the last time my system crashed on me. It's just a scape goat at this point :eek:

20. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Well im having an issue with a pc guy, who is telling me that there is absolutelly no reason to get a mac over a pc. Theonly thing he sees is the price and nothing else! What do i tellhim to convince him?

21. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

The biggest reason that I like macs (after being on windows platform for 18+years) is how you can restore a mac in case something goes wrong, or you want to upgrade a hard drive. I can't count the hours I spent rebuilding my windows machines, reinstalling all files, then restoring docs from backup. In mac, with time machine, or even disk utilities, I can restore to a new hard drive in minutes.

Second thing is there is no registry file. As the registry gets larger, your boot time decreases. As your windows machine gets older it gets slower. My 2006 Mac Pro boots in the exact same 48 seconds it booted the day I got it, and it's LOADED with programs.

There are viruses, etc, but I never got one on my windows machines. However, my parents did. When I go visit them now, I do not spend 2 hours fixing windows. They have a mac, and it just works.

22. frimple macrumors 6502

Your purchase of a computer shouldn't be driven by anything other than your use for it. Do you need a mac because what you do requires mac software? Is it going to be more work for you to use a mac because a majority of the software you use is for windows?

At the end of the day you buy the tool that you need for the job. Apple does a great job of making people desire their products, but if it's not useful for you and you just want it for sake of getting the brand then you should re-consider.

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm with you in this one... Cause I don't get those people who ask such questions. Seriously, if the OP needs to ask, then it's more than obvious he/she doesn't need a system with such specs, period. And most users who can't afford them but need them for their work, would probably finance their purchase(s) with Apple or an third-party higher purchase company or via a loan?

So OP, why not just buy a real MacPro??

24. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

You seem to be arguing that people should buy Mac Pros regardless of price,
    just get a bigger loan! Certainly if you have a big investment in Apple software
    and need OS X you don't have much choice but the OP was talking about
    specs. so I guess he does have a choice.

The Mac Pro quad core is very expensive - something like 40% or more above
    the cost of a Dell T3500. The Mac Pro octo is comparatively more reasonable, it is still more expensive than a Dell T7500 but there is much less
    in it. Additionally the Dells are much cheaper to expand memory on
    as they have more slots and are more flexible when it comes to graphics
    card options etc.

There is no doubt that OS X is a nice operating system but then people say that Windows 7 is good as well (I've not used it, I use Linux and Vista). The argument about OS X being easier to restore given by another poster is not really valid as there are many disk imaging packages around that allow an image to be taken in Windows and very easily restored. It is true though that
    the registry is a bit of a pain and loading lots of software onto Windows over time seems to slow it down. (I don't load lots of software so have not
    noticed any great slow down.)

An unquestioning allegiance to Apple and the Pro regardless of price won't encourage Apple to be more reasonable in their pricing policy.