Mac Pro + eSATA?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Floris, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I have a few new drives coming, and I want to move my internal 250/320gb seagate drives to external eSATA.

I guess I have to purchase a pci-x esata card so I can actually do this.

Anybody have any info for me about this? So I can educate myself what it takes to realize this (the easy way is just firewire800 or usb since i have a few ports left over - but I want (need) the sata2 speed -

What card do I need that works with mac pro, and do you have experience with?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

3. Floris thread starter macrumors 68020

Floris

Great, will be looking into this. This should get me started.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could also take a look at a Syba SD-SA2PEX-2E. Also works with a Mac, and might suit your needs. :)

There's an eBay seller who carries them, and ships international. IIRC, he has multiple store fronts (same name PCIMICROCOM, US store & UK for sure). If he doesn't have one, he can order it.

ATM, the 2 port card isn't listed, and the 1 port version is a different chip so it isn't Mac compatible.

Hope this helps. :)

5. Munix88 macrumors member

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Compared to the Sonnet, definitely cheaper. ;)
    Not hot-swappable though, if that's an issue for the OP.

Around the same cost for the Syba IIRC, and both use a slot. :(
    It's ashame a couple of eSATA ports weren't included in the Mac Pro. :p

7. Munix88 macrumors member

Yes, I read that in the description but I'm wondering what exactly does that mean? Like you can't just take the eSata cable out whenever you feel like it or.....???

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hot swap means you can plug and unplug a drive at will when the computer is turned on. :)

It can be a hassle without it, especially if you swap drives on the interface often. ;)

9. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I use a Sonnet card (the E4P) and a FirmTek 2EN2 enclosure that has been flawless. I do like both products and would say they are worth taking a look at.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sonnet makes decent stuff. ;)

Comparatively speaking, a little expensive in this case. Both support Port Multiplier enclosures, and hot-swap. :)

At least there's an option for those who would prefer to save a little cash. ;)

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I agree that Sonnet makes overall good stuff which I have always liked using in systems- but from personal experience they have proven recently to have among the WORST customer support in the industry in my eyes. I bought an E4P for my new MP three months ago and unfortunately it apparently was DOA. Only then did I find out that Sonnet has NO phone support and you can only submit a request for support online and have them call you. Long story short after submitting three requests and waiting a week, NO calls-- so back went the E4P and instead I picked up a Rocket Raid 2314 which also is 4 ports with port multiplier support which is another great alternative at about the same price point as Sonnet- OWC has them at http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Highpoint Technologies/RR2314/

Also a really nicely built altenative (and much more affordable) to Sonnet's 5 drive port multiplier tower than OWC carries is the one by Sans Digital for $219-- and if you pay $20 more at newegg.com the same enclosure comes bundled with a 2 port eSATA card as well- Sans Digital at newegg with good pictures Nicely made trays, port multiplier compatible and well built. I got a couple and am very pleased with them.

12. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Actually they do have phone support. The number is just not toll free and available only M-F.

I don't really recommend the Newer Technology eSATA Extender Cable because the cables might be too long - causing signal problems. The only
    good thing about going this route is that it is bootable (Mac OS X only).
    Not hot-swappable as mentioned is also a big draw back. In the end, I decided to take it out and go with the Sonnet E4P. I don't have any problems, whatsoever.

13. Floris thread starter macrumors 68020

Floris

This is great feedback. A lot of info to get me started and read up on and make a more comfortable decision. At least I know now which direction to look into.

14. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I see that they now have a Customer Service phone number on the website but they STILL say just below that that for support issues you are supposed to use that email system-- but trust me if I would have been able to find the other number I would not have let that slow me down from calling- especially after the second or third email! :D

I don't know about yours but I found it interesting that on my E4P docs there was no hint of any phone number! :(

Don't get me wrong- I still think they make some top solutions and in spite of my problem I still used a Tempo FW800 board in my MP system with no problems. I was just disappointed that at the time of my problems the email support system was the only option and was not working! ;)

15. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

The extra on board sata plug is a giant pain in the but to get to. Apple was really not interested in having us reach it for some reason. If you have a great deal of patience, then it is probably a good bet to go that way.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's also a CEB (12" x 10.5") board, which is rather small for a server board.

Most non-custom sized server boards are EEB (E-ATX = 12" x 13"), so they have a little more real estate to work with.