Mac Pro expandability Questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dingdongbubble, Jul 12, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Which parts ina Mac Pro can you not upgrade?

Can you upgrade the:
    1. Processors(and are there any setbacks or problems)
    2. Graphic Cards(lets say I have a 7300GT and i want the X1900XT)
    3. Sound Card

Can you REMOVE your existing graphic card?

Are these upgrades supported by Apple? Do you get complete kits do some upgrades like the graphic card?

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

1. You can upgrade the processors, but you will void your warranty and it requires a high level of computer expertise. Not something you would want to mess up. The processors need to be supported.

2. Yes you can upgrade the graphics card. However for it to work on Mac OS X it needs to be an Apple supported card, which means your only other option is the X1900XT or the Quadro FX 4500, and they need to be the Mac versions.

Yes you can remove whatever graphics card you get, its uses a PCI-e.

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool

Arent the graphic cards soldered on?

So I can buy a 7300GT now, use it and when I feel I need an upgrade, I go an buy the Mac X1900XT and put it in right?

Upgrading the proccs would not be an issue after 3 years of APP right? Because the MP would not be in warranty anyways.

Do you think that Intel will roll out Xeons with the same socket as the MP, 3 years down the lane?

Are there people out there who actually do these upgrades for you? Or can I give them the guide from macdouille.com?

As fr as I know, if you buy a PC and upgrade its proc, its warranty goes void, but people still do it, so in that case Apple is not the only company which voids the warranty right?

4. flappo macrumors regular

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=6

"We grabbed a pair of 2.4GHz Clovertown samples and tossed them in the system, and to our pleasure, they worked just fine. Our samples used a 1066MHz FSB, although we're expecting the final chip to use a 1333MHz FSB, but the most important part of the test is that all 8 cores were detected and functional.

We ran a handful of stability tests on the Mac Pro equipped with two Clovertowns and didn't encounter any crashes with the processors, so it would seem that Clovertown will work in the Mac Pro's motherboard. We can't say with 100% certainty that you will be able to upgrade to Clovertown when it comes out, but so far the results are looking good.

For the performance of Clovertown you'll have to wait a bit longer as we're not allowed to disclose it just yet, but we wanted to let you know that so far it's looking like you'll be able to upgrade your Mac Pro to 8 cores in the not too distant future."

5. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

The previous poster seemed to answer all the questions except the third. You can't "upgrade" the existing sound card as it's soldered onto the motherboard, but you can add a sound card, either PCIe, USB or firewire. Currently, I don't think there are Mac compatible PCIe sound cards, though, so you would have to go with USB or firewire. The main reason to add a sound card on the Mac would be to get additional sound I/O ports. The Mac Pro, itself supports 5.1 surround sound which can be outputted via the toslink or optical audio out port (surround sound is suportted by DVD player).

Graphics cards are only soldered on, on hte laptops, iMac, and Mac Mini. The Mac Pro has PCIe slots which use Mac compatible PCIe cards.

Any computer tech probably could do it as it standard PC parts. Although the motherboard may be customized (firewire 800 ports, etc.), it's virtually the same as a PC motherboard with the same standard parts.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

If you don't know that the graphics isn't soldered on, you don't need to buy a Mac Pro let alone try to upgrade one.

7. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

As a musician I can tell you it is easy to upgrade the sound card.

Most cards are now audio interfaces that use firewire, but there may be some PCI express options out there too. :)

8. statikcat macrumors 6502

statikcat

Motu 424 is PCIe and I think RME has one now as well.

9. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol

I dont think that all Mac Pro owners or possible owners were born with unseen and complete knowledge of the Mac Pro.

10. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for answering my questions.

Do you think that a PC technician would look at me with a 'hes a nutcase' look?

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

No, but most people who are even entertaining the possibility of upgrading processors most likely know SOMETHING about computers. It has nothing to do with knowledge of the Mac Pro specifically but just basic computers really. I wasn't trying to knock, I just think you need to take yourself a computer course or buy a book before you start trying to upgrade things.

12. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Basic knowledge. You dont know me in person. All my friends ask me for help regarding computers including doubts, upgrades etc. I think I have enough basic knowledge.

The reason why I asked if the graphic card was soldered on or not was because I know it is on the iMac and I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt.

13. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I don't know you. But a tad bit of research and historical data of pro towers could have answered all your questions. Thats all.

14. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

With how unbearably slow Apple updates its products (more specifically the Mac Pro), the damn video card might as well be soldered on :rolleyes:

15. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I share your frustration! That was good.