Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Can I install a separate hard-drive and then install XP through bootcamp on this extra drive? Is this difficult to do?

This should keep my mac/windows stuff nice a separate right? So if windows goes all wrong I'll happily be able to work in osx?

Will the extra drive be assessable on my desktop for storing files? I guessing that it'll be different having been formatted for windows.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
You don't really need bootcamp, apart from to create the drivers CD. Just install the extra Hard Drive, put in the Windows CD and reboot. Hold down alt while booting and you'll see the boot menu, select your Windows disc and it will begin the installer. Obviously when Windows asks you to choose which drive to install to, choose your seperate Hard Drive. Any time you want to boot into Windows, again just hold the alt key when you start the computer and select that hard drive. Easy as pie :)

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Cool, thanks for the reply. So I'd only need bootcamp (in this instance) to make a CD with drivers for windows. I guessing this means mac specific stuff like drivers for ipod, isight and apple monitors – is that right?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That's exactly what I intend to do when my mac pro gets here.

It's in Belfast at the moment :eek: UPS got mixed up and decided I lived in Giants Causeway rather than Causeway in Kerry :rolleyes:

What spec did your order Grizzly ?

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Not ordered yet – will next month. I'm going to get 2.66/160gb/1900/2gig ram apple installed :D

I'll pick up the 2nd HD later. I hear seagate are good.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Cool. I got same except 250gb/1900/1gb mem (I ordered 2gb from Omni ram in the states for only €340 - compared to crucial & apple that's v.cheap. They ship by fed ex and put the value underneath the vat duty bracket so we dont have to pay extra taxes)

Weird thing is my mac shipped from UK rather than Cork like I thought it would. However they did make a boob and ship it without Airport so I have to wait for it to arrive and send it back to them - because they wont send out just the airport module :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.