Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Hi guys,

I have a new mac pro and am ultra happy with it.

One tiny problem is the front fan is making a knocking noise like it's tapping on something, not incredibly loud but something i would like to fix.

It is defiantly the fan as i stop it with my finger and the knocking stopped and it does appear to be touching anything.

It this something that will wear off in time or something I should try and do something out?

Many thanks

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
A couple of comments: As the fan spins up it may move slightly and indeed be touching somewthing. More likely the base of the fan where it is anchored to the frame may be loose. I'd check the fan mounting base first for loose screws and centering on its frame.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
A couple of comments: As the fan spins up it may move slightly and indeed be touching somewthing. More likely the base of the fan where it is anchored to the frame may be loose. I'd check the fan mounting base first for loose screws and centering on its frame.

Right thanks il give it a go.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I have had a look from opening the side and all appears to be ok, but it's still making the noise i really need to see it from the front is there anyway I can do that?

Thanks

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Grrrr this is getting really annoying now seems to get louder and louder, has anyone got any ideas what I should try?

I have only had this a few days I brought it from a store that about 2 hours away from me I don't want to ring applecare and for them to tell me they need to repair and take it away or take it back back to the store, would the send me replacement if necessary and swap at the same time even if i didn't buy the macpro online?

Thanks

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Does anyone have any opinions on this? Should I call the store or apple care?? Would it be possible for them to swap or would I have to go back?

maharajah

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Mac Pro fans idle at very low speeds. These low rpms can cause some fans to "rattle". Try using smcFancontrol and see if increasing that fan's rpm to 700 or 800 reduces or eliminates the "rattle".
If you still have problems exchange it immediately. Most people never notice small noise issues like this, but it drives me crazy, and it sounds like it annoys you also.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Mac Pro fans idle at very low speeds. These low rpms can cause some fans to "rattle". Try using smcFancontrol and see if increasing that fan's rpm to 700 or 800 reduces or eliminates the "rattle".
If you still have problems exchange it immediately. Most people never notice small noise issues like this, but it drives me crazy, and it sounds like it annoys you also.

Yes it really is annoying me, ill give that a try and see what happens.

Do you know if it possible exchange via post if you have brought in a store?

maharajah

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Yes it really is annoying me, ill give that a try and see what happens.

Do you know if it possible exchange via post if you have brought in a store?
Not sure on the exchange. A quick call to the Apple store should provide you with an answer.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Don't know if it's the same on the new Mac Pro, but I have this on the old one. Though not quite a knocking sound, sometimes it's more of a bipbipbip and other times it kind of whines. I just got used to it, but I probably should get some kinda lube for it.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Great!

Spoken to the store and apple care have to return it that means a 2 hours drive back to the shop, I asked if they do any compensation they said NO! bloody great thats another day of my time gone and they won't even give me anything for causing this problem. :mad::mad::mad:

TuomasP

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Well, I guess my new 8x 2.8GHz mac pro has the same problem described here. Sometimes it doesn't make the sound but when it starts, the computer is not silent anymore. Otherwise the sound is just a thin white noise kind of whisper. Sometimes the sound comes and goes but last night it remained for many hours. I guess it is a problem with the fan bearings or something. It is definitely coming from a fan in front of the case.

Btw, is there a software for adjusting the fan speeds which works with the new mac pro's? The smcFancontrol didn't work. It doesn't recognize my mac.

edit. Tried the fancontrol again and it did work. Thanks.

davidwsica

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
I also noticed an intermittent buzzing sound from my new Mac Pro. I really don't want to bring it back but I don't know if I'll be happy with the noise. I'm not sure adjusting the fan speed is a "good" solution.

David

metakinetics

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Here Too

Same problem here. It gets really loud sometimes, and it sounds like the fans are revving up and down in RPM in about a 2 to 3 second cycle. This noise is so annoying! I have packed it up and plan to return it for a full refund.

If you are using a Mac for pro audio work and you cannot put the computer in a closet or different room altogether, a Mac Pro is not a very good choice for silence. Music production or mastering requires the utmost quiet. It is definitely quieter than your average tower, but it is also not nearly as quiet as an iMac. The iMacs are almost completely silent, at least 20 decibels quieter than the Mac Pros. You cannot hear an iMac on unless you get very close to the machine and put your ear near the housing. You can definitely hear a Mac Pro from 10 feet away in a quiet room, even if it is not a defective one.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Have you seen my video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDjmYiUdybI

I had to be very persistent to have this fixed. The problem is with the fan not being able to sustain high rpms, it's a mechanical problem.

When I first playing 3D games, i noticed the noise was low, then it got progressively louder and louder. For me, it was not easy to duplicate because it didn't do it all the time, though it did most times. What I did was take a video of the problem and showed it to the Mac Genius and also tried duplicating the issue when there.

I believe I had the fan assembly replaced twice before they got it right.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Same problem here. It gets really loud sometimes, and it sounds like the fans are revving up and down in RPM in about a 2 to 3 second cycle. This noise is so annoying! I have packed it up and plan to return it for a full refund.

If you are using a Mac for pro audio work and you cannot put the computer in a closet or different room altogether, a Mac Pro is not a very good choice for silence. Music production or mastering requires the utmost quiet. It is definitely quieter than your average tower, but it is also not nearly as quiet as an iMac. The iMacs are almost completely silent, at least 20 decibels quieter than the Mac Pros. You cannot hear an iMac on unless you get very close to the machine and put your ear near the housing. You can definitely hear a Mac Pro from 10 feet away in a quiet room, even if it is not a defective one.

You posted that exact same reply in another thread!

I'm all in favour of recycling to help the environment, but...

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Have you seen my video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDjmYiUdybI

I had to be very persistent to have this fixed. The problem is with the fan not being able to sustain high rpms, it's a mechanical problem.

When I first playing 3D games, i noticed the noise was low, then it got progressively louder and louder. For me, it was not easy to duplicate because it didn't do it all the time, though it did most times. What I did was take a video of the problem and showed it to the Mac Genius and also tried duplicating the issue when there.

I believe I had the fan assembly replaced twice before they got it right.

Ouch! That noise is bad. I suspect it's one or two orders
of magnitude worse than the Mac Pro noises people are
speaking about, though.

Well done for making that recording. It really helps in
understanding what you are talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.