Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Hey my mac pro 5.1 3.2 has a problem where the expansion fan revs to 1500+ at startup just right after the apple logo shows and as soon as it hits desktop the fans take about 20 seconds to go down to the idle 800rpm..its really annoying because it sounds like airplane engine. any suggestions? this dosen't happen in restarts tho only boots from shutdowns. i air spray my machine monthly so the fans are clean

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
It's most likely your video card. My EVGA GTX 680 does it as well but only after I upgraded. My original 5870does not exhibit this.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
my first thought was the video card, but it appears from your post that you are using the stock Radeon 5770 card. Is this the case?

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
I am using everything stock on this machine. I just did the smc reset and still the rev.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I got.....

between 1200-1600 revs in my Mac Pro when booting up. Dig some into the software and found a lot of startup items. I erase all but the estrictly needed....

:):apple:

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
i was excited about that idea untill i seen i only had itunes helper enabled:(

----------

fresh installs of mt lion doesn't solve this...do you guys have 800rpm expansion fan idle with other gpus or things in your pcie expansion slot, my pro dosen't plays well with usb 3 cards or a evga gtx670 because the fans still rev and they idle at 1200rpm which is noticeable when having anything else but a stock machine.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You keep mentioning this problem in so many threads. This new thread, the USB 3.0 thread, a video card thread, and the "what's in your PCIe slots" thread.

But you aren't providing all the information. There's little pieces here and there. It is really challenging to help when you hide information all over the place.

So last I heard, in a different thread, these two solutions worked for you:

1) "the only thing that works is removing the card. i might just remove and install whenever im i need of fast usb 3.0 goodness."

2) "*UPDATE i removed a 4gb stick of OWC 1066 ram and the fan rev went away."

Did the problem return later even with that hardware removed? Did you reinstall the offending hardware and are hoping for a different solution?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i was excited about that idea untill i seen i only had itunes helper enabled:(
Did you make sure to check everywhere? You can check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
  • System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items (SL and older: System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items)
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/LaunchAgents
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  • In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > /Library/StartupItems

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
You keep mentioning this problem in so many threads. This new thread, the USB 3.0 thread, a video card thread, and the "what's in your PCIe slots" thread.

But you aren't providing all the information. There's little pieces here and there. It is really challenging to help when you hide information all over the place.

So last I heard, in a different thread, these two solutions worked for you:

1) "the only thing that works is removing the card. i might just remove and install whenever im i need of fast usb 3.0 goodness."

2) "*UPDATE i removed a 4gb stick of OWC 1066 ram and the fan rev went away."

Did the problem return later even with that hardware removed? Did you reinstall the offending hardware and are hoping for a different solution?
it went away that one time i posted to quickly the problem has since returned

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
with everything stock in the machine + plus a fresh mt lion install the problem still presists. on the very first boot the fan went bezerk. im thinking hardware problem. the apple store says its normal and they wont service it.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Sorry. I thought you had issues with the GTX670. I need to read;)
You did SMC but did you PRAM zap?

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Taint normal:mad: Mine doesn't act like that.

Lou

i know. thats why steven from applecare got a stern talking too over the phone earlier and he set me up with a service appointment where im gonna be talking to a genius and the apple store manager

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
That's exactingly what happened haha

Yes, please do let us know if the problem is finally resolved. Mine actually did something like that when I installed a RocketU USB 3.0 card, but in spite of what others have said, a SMC reset resolved it. Perhaps that was just a coincidence or something. :confused:

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Yes, please do let us know if the problem is finally resolved. Mine actually did something like that when I installed a RocketU USB 3.0 card, but in spite of what others have said, a SMC reset resolved it. Perhaps that was just a coincidence or something. :confused:

I havent got it back but yesturday they called me for permission to go ahead with the repairs for back motherboard and front board because my front headphone jack was very staticky

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.