Mac Pro Fan speeds a bit to low?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by goldenhourfilms, Dec 12, 2009.

1. goldenhourfilms macrumors newbie

Hi,

My Mac Pro use to run all the fans at 800RPM which was nice and quite and kept things pretty cool, but after installing Snow Leopard I noticed my system was warmer. So i looked up the Fan speed and they are running way lower anywhere from 499RPM to to 599RPM.

Why is this? I dont like seeing my RAM getting so hot, and I have a Blackmagic deklink card and a highpoint 4322 in there so those fans are spinning since Im not pushing more cool air in there.

Any thoughts?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

You may have had an SMC firmware update between Leopard and the current version of SL.

You could always adjust the fan speeds back up a bit in iSTAT Pro, and see if that reduces the card fans needing to spin up (and cut down noise). ;)

3. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Adjust fan speeds from iSTAT Pro!

4. goldenhourfilms thread starter macrumors newbie

You can adjust Fan speed in iSTAT Pro????

How did I miss that one! Im looking around but dont see where that option is.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?

thanks

5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

No you can't.

Use Fan Control or smcFanControl. I like Fan Control better because it has more control over the algorithm that sets you fan speeds, but it treats both my (uMBP) fans the same. smcFanControl might be better for a Mac Pro.

6. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Oh yeah, and smcFanControl changes a setting in the smc firmware of your mac. That setting is reset when you power it all the way down. Meaning, if you use bootcamp for gaming, you can push your fan speed up using your mac and then restart into windows with the speeds still high.

7. goldenhourfilms thread starter macrumors newbie

My only problem with smcFanControl is that I can not set the fans below 1,000RPM or 1,300 RPM. I don't remember since I last tried it and that I can not control the PSU fan. Unless a new version of smcFanControl has fixed that issue?

Do you have that problem?

8. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I have a MacBook Pro and I use Fan Control. I do recall, however, that you can type in the numbers you want somewhere in smcFanControl.

9. goldenhourfilms thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded the new version of smcFanControl. Its working great and I can set the fan speeds pretty low and high. But i have noticed that my Power Supply fan is not effect by the changes I make in smcFanControl. It looks like my PSU is running at 130F to 150F. Any way I can control that fan?

thanks again