Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SharkRaptor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Hello!

I seem to have the firmware upgrade tool "working", but it doesn't seem to do anything.

When I first tried, I got an error -- but then I downloaded the MacPro EFI update, and the Firmware Upgrade tool uses that.

When I restart my computer and hold down the power, it flashes it's lights and beeps. But, I have an un-supported graphics card from Apple, so it doesn't show any of the grey-screen stuff (The actual updating).

It stays black for around 3-4~ minutes, then it restarts. It starts up normally, and doesn't say anything. When I go to "About This Mac", it says "Early 2009 Mac Pro" still, instead of 2010.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
The model of the computer, IE: "Early 2009" is determined by the Serial Number, not the board firmware. Check your System Report, and then Hardware Overview and see if the model identifier has been changed to "MacPro5,1" - that'll be the indicator. Your SMC firmware should be different as well, but I'm not familiar with the number it should read.

SharkRaptor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
The model of the computer, IE: "Early 2009" is determined by the Serial Number, not the board firmware. Check your System Report, and then Hardware Overview and see if the model identifier has been changed to "MacPro5,1" - that'll be the indicator. Your SMC firmware should be different as well, but I'm not familiar with the number it should read.

Unfortunately, it still says "MacPro4,1" under the Model Identifier

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You need to hold down the power button during a cold boot, but not "restart".

Also, AFAIK, you need to have a supported graphic card during this upgrade. It's a requirement, but not just for displaying something that for you during the upgrade. If you still have the card, put that back in and try again.

SharkRaptor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
You need to hold down the power button during a cold boot, but not "restart".

Also, AFAIK, you need to have a supported graphic card during this upgrade. It's a requirement, but not just for displaying something that for you during the upgrade. If you still have the card, put that back in and try again.

I've only done cold boots from this update.

Okay, thanks for the heads up! I'll try and find a cheap supported graphics card (I sold my old one for some reason)

SharkRaptor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Maybe this helps: It appears Apple has removed/moved or otherwise changed the location for the MacProEFIUpdate1.5.dmg

Follow the instructions in this thread: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=8729.0;wap2

That's actually the exact same tutorial that I followed, because I was previously getting the 5570 error.

I just bought a mac-supported graphics card, and it's on it's way. So, it should hopefully work with that.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I just bought a mac-supported graphics card, and it's on it's way. So, it should hopefully work with that.

Just a quick question, what's the last 3 of your board ID in System Info?

The model of the computer, IE: "Early 2009" is determined by the Serial Number, not the board firmware.

Fun fact, if you go in and play with some Plist files you can get it to read whatever you want it to. Since my 2009 has the W3680 in it, I changed it to say Mid 2012.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hello!

I seem to have the firmware upgrade tool "working", but it doesn't seem to do anything.

When I first tried, I got an error -- but then I downloaded the MacPro EFI update, and the Firmware Upgrade tool uses that.

When I restart my computer and hold down the power, it flashes it's lights and beeps. But, I have an un-supported graphics card from Apple, so it doesn't show any of the grey-screen stuff (The actual updating).

It stays black for around 3-4~ minutes, then it restarts. It starts up normally, and doesn't say anything. When I go to "About This Mac", it says "Early 2009 Mac Pro" still, instead of 2010.

Not sure if this solves your problem. Before I was also having problems updating the firmware of my 2009 classic Mac Pro having the exact, same symptoms as yours and was able to resolve the problem. Luckily I have two 2009 cMac Pros, an 8 core 2.66ghz and the other 2009 cMac Pro. On the 2.66ghz 8 core the firmware update was successful but on the 2.93ghz 8 core the update would not work. After restart, nothing happened as the update was not applied. I tried researching via internet but did not find any solutions.

Then I compared the two 2009s "About This Mac" Info and found the problem. Under "Software/Extensions" the 8 core 2.93ghz was missing the ACPI_SMC_PlatormPlugin version 4.5.0 that the dual 2.66ghz cMac Pro had. I downloaded this extension via the Apple software update. After the update, I then re-tried to apply the firmware update to 5,1 and now works. The clue was this time there was the progress bar that appeared so a sign that the update worked. I was on Snow Leopard 10.6.7 using a Nvidia 285GTX Mac Edition by EVGA. It was advantageous to have 2 2009s to diagnose otherwise I would be going nuts figuring it out. Hope this helps.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
That's actually the exact same tutorial that I followed, because I was previously getting the 5570 error.

Yes, of course, the MP firmware upgrade needs an EFI graphics card. Without an EFI card it will not work.

SharkRaptor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
As an update -- I got that graphics card today (The GTA 120), and then updated.

It worked!!

Thanks, everyone! And now to upgrade my CPU.

Moogulator

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
europe
I am on MP 4,1 (2009) tried the same with El Capitan, re-installed GeForce GT120, mounted that 2010 Firmware, startet 2009 to 2010 Util. - it created a RAMdisk and says I should restart (deletes that mounted firmware thing when startet in that utility) - well shut down and startet - holding the power button until flash/beep - but the OS just boots - still at 4.1 - any chances/help? 10.11.1 - already got those processors etc. buuut - this firmware makes me mad, tried 10.6, recovery (10.10) and a second El Capitan - none of it worked.

Bubalight

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
As far as I know nobody has been able to got the firmware update to work when used from El Capitan. You say you have a 10.6, I would try again running that, it should work, I'd maybe try pulling your 10.11 hard drive, I dont know why but that is what I suspect is causing your trouble.

Moogulator

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
europe
I got it - I had to:
remove my HD/SSDs that has OS 10.10/11 on it - put my 10.6 SSD in, the old Geforce,back in as well - still that error occured - but with mounting that apple firmware it finally worked - but without removing thoses HDs/SSDs it simply just boots the os instead of updating.
it did NOT work via recovery OS 10.10 or another 10.11 - I just had the idea - maybe those newer OS'es should not be present at the time of updating - and that worked. don't know if that's 100% sure but it finally worked with me.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I got it - I had to:
remove my HD/SSDs that has OS 10.10/11 on it - put my 10.6 SSD in, the old Geforce,back in as well - still that error occured - but with mounting that apple firmware it finally worked - but without removing thoses HDs/SSDs it simply just boots the os instead of updating.
it did NOT work via recovery OS 10.10 or another 10.11 - I just had the idea - maybe those newer OS'es should not be present at the time of updating - and that worked. don't know if that's 100% sure but it finally worked with me.

From what I understand... El Capitan uses SIP, which when active, prevents any system level changes so you can't update your firmware from 4.1 to 5.1 unless SIP is deactivated. I too ran into this problem when I initially tried updating my 4.1 to 5.1 with El Capitan. Not until I used Lion to update my firmware did it occur to me that I had to disable SIP in my El Capitan disk that I could update the firmware. For those who are running El Cap on their 4.1 just remember to disable SIP before doing the firmware upgrade :)

Moogulator

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2014
europe
true - what I'd like to say is - I did not disable SIP, I just booted from SL and then did the firmware-mount-tricky-thing with old GT120 installed - and it worked. I wasn't able to disable it since you need some OS that is not "installed like normal" on the system and my recovery disc is just yosemite - so it says "no you can't disable" because it doesn't know the command (csrutil disable) below 10.11 ..
so - it can get a little tricky ..

hope to be of help for someone - thanks for all of you since it all helped to find the solution.
well it's a 5.1 MacPro now. it's all there, so next stop: new processors install - just send me good wishes to have it still working after all.

Neanderphil

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
Yes, of course, the MP firmware upgrade needs an EFI graphics card. Without an EFI card it will not work.

Is a graphics card a requirement at all? Currently trying to update myself with a non-efi GPU and the lazy in me would just like to temporarily unseat the graphics card for the update.

Thanks

mac8867

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Fun fact, if you go in and play with some Plist files you can get it to read whatever you want it to. Since my 2009 has the W3680 in it, I changed it to say Mid 2012.

That's cool... I know this a little older thread... but do you happen to know which plist? Which OS versions?

More in line with the thread. Disabling SIP, then doing the Firmware update process works. I re-enabled SIP... but that probably isn't required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.