Mac Pro fix or buy new

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spikeanator6982, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

My Mac Pro 2008 8 core 2.8 is needing a new logic board. Mostly because the one riser slot is bad, and some other things that are more minor. I have the original 8800 and the 5770 graphics cards for it, 6GB ram, the superdrives do not work either and "need" replaced. I was quoted $1449 for replace the logic board. But even after I fixed it, it seems I could only sell the machine for 500-600 bucks. Really seems stupid to fix it for that much when the new MBPs have the same or higher cinebench and geekbench scores as this MP does. I do some encoding for video, but the 4 harddrive slots were the main pull to a MP and I can get fast externals now with USB 3 and thunderbolt and still seemingly have just as good/better encoding with a MBP, assuming the cinebench and geekbench scores are right.

I really want to try to sell my MP, or part it out and get a MBP. Where could I do that, are what do guys think is the best solution?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Does it boot? If it boots and the superdrives don't work, the buyer can still use the machine.

I would definitely not sink any money in the Mac Pro, especially if it does not boot. Check to see what Apple will give you to "recycle" it or donate to charity but (assuming your estimates are true) by all means don't spend $1400 bucks to repair a $600 item! :eek:

BTW, with Thunderbolt and USB 3, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Mac Pro turns out to be a Mac Mini with a 4 slot Thunderbolt "expansion chassis" that's only about twice as thick as the Mac Mini it is paired with. A third party expansion chassis was shown at the 2012 CES...
    [​IMG]

3. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it boots, for the most part it just can't always read the second riser card, so when it does boot with ram in that card it will sometimes read it and sometimes not, and will then restart when it looses that slot again. There are some other problems with the board, nothing major that I know off and nothing the "mac store" found. How do you check what apple will recycle it for? we don't have a real Apple store in my state even, so I am hoping I can see online.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You can check at www.apple.com/recycling. I looked up two different Mac Pros, one for 2006 and I gave it a "good" cosmetic appearance with internal hardware works "sometimes" and it offered $98. For a 2009 Mac Pro in the same condition, it offered $148. For a 2008 8 core in the same condition it offered $118. However if you are able to say excellent appearance and internal hardware always works it offers $533.

Another place to check is ebay "completed listings" for Mac Pro. Be careful. If you aren't a frequent seller, ebay will hold your funds while you pay for shipping out of your own pocket. They will also require you to provide a credit card to reimburse them in the event of a dispute. Lastly you won't get your funds until either delivery confirmation or the buyer leaves you positive feedback. If your listing says anything about a suspect bad logic board, I don't think you'll get much for the machine and if you list it without that information, there is an excellent chance the buyer will file a claim and you could lose money on the deal. Of course you could simply remove the offending riser card, making it less likely an end user would experience the problem but you really should say in your listing that some of the slots don't work properly.

I also checked "completed listings" on ebay for 2008 8-core and found prices ranging from $900 to $1600. I suspect all those units were in perfect working order.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040