Mac pro for college and uni?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jakealdred, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jakealdred macrumors member

jakealdred

I have a macbook which will do me fine until college i do some photo editing (aperture) video (FCE) and graphics (photoshop cs3 extended) my macbook runs them well but no at the same time
    so im thinking of buying a mac pro in 3 years time for college and uni but some people have said buy a macbook pro for essays etc and a imac for home.
    I was planning on keeping my macbook for school and my mac pro for the majority of things i.e. FCS2 and aperture and maybe some light gaming.
    I know 3years seems like a long time but really its not yr 7 went ultra fast and yr 8 feels like i've been sitting on a rocket for 2 seconds!
    and i know times will change in 3 years time they might not be a macpro or a imac but just think of it as if im going to buy it know
    or think of it do i buy the high end desktop and keep the low end notebook
    or the high end imac and the low end macbook pro?
    also i want these to last me through out college and uni so about 5-7years

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

By that time there is going to be a new version of Photoshop, Aperture, Mac OS X, and the MacBook Pros.

A Mac Pro is stunningly overkill for what you want. While always a great choice, it's hard to "recommend" anybody gets one. A MacBook Pro with the full four or five gigs of memory (or whatever is available at that time) should be fine.

3. 119576 Guest

Probably best to not even think about it yet; considering the way the computer industry is developing.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You won't even remember this thread in 3 years; I'd suggest not worrying about this now.

5. billandy macrumors regular

logging onto the apple store for higher education in janet gives you at least £300+ education discount on mac pro.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

my strategy was a macbook pro, but a 24" monitor and wireless mouse and keyboard and a couple external drives for the dorm

works great