Mac Pro for Middle School

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RickyBobby1234, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickyBobby1234 macrumors newbie

Hey fellas, I'm in 8th grade and for Christmas/Hanukkah I'm asking for a Quad-core Mac Pro but I'm really considering asking for the 12 core cause I do a lot of video editing. I'm also thinking of going with the 8GB of ram but I'm not sure what to do. My parents are going to get it for me ,but I wanted your opinion. I don't to have them waste there money on something I'll out grow in a couple of years.

Thanks guys!

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Trust me, you do not need 12 cores for video editing.

Get a 13 or 15-inch Macbook Pro. I'm in highschool (9th) and I do *A LOT* of video editing on my 13 inch with iMovie and Final Cut Pro. It's MORE than enough. Safe your parents the money.

3. RickyBobby1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a 2006 Macbook Pro and its pretty much dead. I use adobe products and use them heavy and I've been running CS4 for the longest time because my current setup just won't handle CS5.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The difference between a 2006 MBP and the current MBP is incredible. It's a completely different level of performance.

That being said, I got through college editing 1080p video on my PowerBook G4. Export was slow, but it did alright. A Mac Pro is going to be SERIOUS overkill for what you want to do.

How many video layers, audio layers, and effects do you plan on editing at any given point in time? Unless you're talking about 20+ of each all at the same time, you don't need a Mac Pro.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Get the 15 or 17 inch MacBook Pro. It's cheaper than a Mac Pro, portable, and will easily run all the Adobe CS 5.5 apps smoothly and for a long time. Don't waste your money on a Mac Pro considering they'll probably update them/kill the line really soon.

6. RickyBobby1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm up to about 18-19 right now but with my business expanding and an increase in customer demand I might be up to 25+ by March.

7. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Well, definitely consider yourself lucky with your parents. :)

Anyway, I think you should either get a MacBook Pro or an iMac. These will last you at least three years, possibly longer. Really, a Mac Pro is for serious professionals doing CAD stuff, mostly these are bought for enterprise purposes. With all due respect, I think your video editing won't even come close to the work that the Mac Pro is targeted and designed for.

8. RickyBobby1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I should also note that I'm lying down $1400 towards it. The rest of it is my christmas present for the next four years.

9. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Have someone move this to the mac pro forum for better results.

I say go for it. I have a late 2011 17" Macbook Pro at home and use a 2009 Mac Pro for editing at work. Assuming you'll be getting 2 nice monitors to accompany it, I'd definitely give the nod to the MP. MBPs are great and I do all of my personal editing on mine, but the Mac Pro has the intangibles that make editing fast and without compromise.

You'll love it for editing.

10. chrf097, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011

chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

You're an 8th grader, what BUSINESS could you be running where you need a Dodeca-Core processor?

11. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I say don't get the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is long overdue for an update. Wait until March/April and if Apple does refresh the lineup, then you should get one. My advice, don't get two Thunderbolt displays for it. $1998 for monitors is absurd.

12. RickyBobby1234, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011

RickyBobby1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

To answer you question, I work for my dad. I'm not computer literate, thats why I've come here for some help and guidance.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.