Mac Pro for Recording

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sporadicMotion, Nov 25, 2008.

1. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

So after Christmas is all said and done, I'm finally breaking down and getting myself a shiny new Mac Pro. I've been doing audio recording on my trusty little MacBook for a while and I've realized that while I like being able to take my music with me to work on over at friends places and all that jazz, I want a proper desktop... a machine that I don't need to lock down the tracks before playing a song! Anyone in here using there Pro for such good fun? If so, what was most important to you (aside from having a fast drive).

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

i am using my mac pro (original base model with 4gb of ram and plenty of storage on multiple 7200 rpm drives) with Protools M-Powered 7.4.x and a M-Audio Profire 2626.

As i type I am mastering a 5 song demo that I just recorded with my band. 29 audio tracks, 12 aux tracks, loads of effects.... and still PLENTY of headroom. I would recommend 4+ gigs of ram, and at least 2 extra hard drives, one for recording and another for backup.

3. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, i'm using cubase and native instruments komplete.

optimal drive setup:
    drive 1: (stock if you like)
    boot and apps only

drive 2: for reading/writing audio files (so save your projects to this drive)

drive 3: for samples if you do any midi instruments

and another for backup/time machine.

you'll be able to do as many tracks/effects other junk as you could possibly want.

4. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

everybody knows all good bands use garageband...ahaha

myspace.com/breathecarolina

well they do.

5. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

Hey I got the 2626 too!! pretty sweet. However, I mostly use logic. I am thinking about trying protools out some more.

I had 2gb of ram for a while and there were a lot of times that my ram was really close to being maxed out. Now I have 10, since its so cheap and got plenty of room to spare.

6. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

the 2626 is great. I had a Firewire 1814 previous with audio buddy preamps... the sound quality is immediately noticeable. The preamps in the 2626 are excellent.

7. chrisdee macrumors member

Has anybody here with a MacPro tested how many intrument tracks they get in ProTools with Structure / Xpand! ?

What about adding effect plugins like dynamics, reverb, eq to the same intrument tracks. How does this work ?