Mac Pro freezes when left overnight

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SDAVE, Dec 19, 2007.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I leave it to render with After Effects CS3, and when I come back, it is frozen!

I have to shut it down by holding down the power key and start it up again.

I have Leopard on this, Tiger never acted this way?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Adobe products might not be updated to work fully with Leopard. If you have production machine, you should wait until .3 of the OS to update. I am waiting myself, but has a Leopard partition for testing.

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Adobe is definately behind when it comes to making any kind of update.

In any event... try closing Adobe for a week before evening and see if the problem persists... i doubt this has anything to do with leopard, but then again... it could be related.

If it continues, try disabeling an app you may have open one at a time. this may take time to conduct, but it should help rule out who the culprit is.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Do you have hardware monitor running? i have problems with that freezing my system...but its not a %100 freeze as i can still ssh into the box.

5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks guys. Adobe is supposed to release a fix for After Effects this month. I know I shouldn't have installed Leopard (Archive & Install) but couldn't help myself :(

And yes this is a production machine. Other than the freeze overnight, I have not really seen any major problems with any of the Adobe apps.

Maybe it's a heat issue? I remember I left iDefragment on overnight, came back and it was frozen. I didn't have Adobe apps open.

Also I don't have any temperature monitors on, only Little Snitch. Also I am sharing one of my drives, maybe that has something to do with it too? I run a direct XOver cable to another machine (Windows server) via SMB, and I shut down that computer when I leave the Mac running.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Shouldn't be a heat issue. You should have Activity Monitor on and set to see all processes to see how much of your CPU is being used.

If it crashed, you can try to SSH in and look at TOP

7. davepk macrumors member

Interesting, I had attributed the freezes to my ATI video card.
    I just discovered i was running an older version of hardware monitor, thank you, and i've now updated it to the most recent version.

I'll let you know if that rectifies the freeze for me.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I still have the freezing problem with the latest version of hardware monitor. I have been working with the developer for over 3 weeks on the problem. But i would love to find someone else who has the problem.

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I see all the processors. It doesn't crash, just freezes. Is there an event viewer in OSX?

I was thinking that this has something to do with archive & install? I didn't do a "fresh install".

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its called "console" in the utilities folder. Also a >exit seems to unfreeze to for me when sshed in.

11. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Ever since upgrading to Leopard, I've experienced intermittent lock-ups. I never had any, not one, with Tiger.

Similar to you, one of the latest ones was a freeze after I left my Mac Pro alone for awhile during a (lengthy) clean compile of GCC 4.3. When I returned my desktop was completely frozen, no mouse no keyboard, and a power-recycle was required to regain control of the machine (I don't have another machine with which to ping or ssh into my MP, much less run it remotely with a kernel debugger).

All the other freezes and lockups have happened when using:

1) DVD player
    2) iTunes visualizer
    3) Screen Saver (since disabled this...the screen saver once pre-empted DVD Player, in the middle of playing a DVD)
    4) Expose
    5) Spaces

The GPU accelerated nature of these activities led me to suspect that the issue has to do with the X1900 drivers (others who have reported MP freezes under Leopard on this and other forums almost invariably have the X1900, although this could just be incidental).

There is nothing in the system or application logfiles afterwards that hint at anything.

Somewhere, here or on the Apple forums, a sticky thread needs to be created that will act as a clearing house for Mac Pro Leopard lock-up symptoms; Perhaps whatever trends emerge there will help Apple sort the bugs quicker.

12. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

13. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Watch them ask you if you've 'repaired permissions'.

14. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Haha, or "Reset PRAM"?

I need to take my computer to a Genius bar, I just don't have the time :(

15. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I don't think the Genius Bar squad will be of much use here (in fact they may even suggest the permission/PRAM 1-2 punch).

It'd be nice if the issue was reproducible on-demand, but I've tried to provoke my Mac Pro into freezing and it never does...it only does it when I'm not looking.

All these lockups are symptomatic of a bug(s) in Leopard. Only the developers in Cupertino are going to have any idea of what's going on.

Out of curiosity, are you using a wireless mouse/keyboard?

16. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I'm using the bluetooth keyboard (old one) and a wired USB Wacom tablet pen/mouse.

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

18. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

One thing I'll mention is that under Tiger, my machine would not go to sleep at all.

Under Leopard it goes to sleep, but when I boot back up, the fans (probably the rear fan) starts to spin at a really fast rate and stays that way. So I don't use Sleep anymore. I just shut down.

I'm going to leave the computer overnight today as well, I'm sure it will be frozen when I come back tomorrow. :(

19. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The reason I asked about the mouse/keyboard was that sometimes I have true lockups, say I lose my control of my desktop and iTunes plays the same note over and over and over again; other times I lose my desktop but iTunes plays through.

I began to wonder if part of the problem wasn't Bluetooth-related, but from you've told me it doesn't seem to be exclusive to wireless devices.

20. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have never had the music continue playing. But i have had about 1 second of sound being repeated over and over and over.

21. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Mine just completely freezes. No mouse no keyboard support.

I am used to lockups in Windows (rarely on XP Pro SP2) but not OSX. Tiger was somewhat flawless.

Maybe I should go back to Tiger? But why I paid for it?

22. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I just recovered from another lockup. I wasn't doing anything special, just waiting for a webpage to load when everything froze and I had to power-recycle the machine.

This is really bad. I'm getting about 1 freeze per day whereas I ran Tiger for 10 months without a single one.

23. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I never get lockups when I am using the Mac Pro, just when it stays overnight (With Leopard).

I just set it to render overnight, and set a shutdown schedule in a couple of hours. I hate getting lockups, sometimes I'm scared of data loss.

24. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It'll probably piss you guys off to hear this, but you should go back to Tiger.

I have a Tiger drive that I left untouched just encase incidents like that happen.

Why risk it any longer with these freezes, if you know it's coming from Leopard , then obviously it is time to go back to 10.4

That's my take on the situation, let's just hope it isn't the hardware that's locking u up.

25. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Can I downgrade to Tiger without wiping everything off? I have spent hours and hours installing all these apps.

Archive & Install?