Mac Pro from 2006 (the case is damaged, internal works) worth buying?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by opeter, Apr 3, 2009.

1. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Hello all,

I just want to ask you, if a Mac Pro from 2006, (2x 2,66 GHz DualCore Xeon, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, no guaranty, no CDs or DVDs, only the power cord included) is worth to buy right now (I mean: in april 2009).

The case is damaged (the handles and on of the side is/are deformed because of transportations), but the internal works, as the user send me some pictures and screenshots.

[​IMG]

The price after the auction will top around 500-550 €. A new case would be around 300 €, but I think, thats just a cosmetic problem.

So the question is, if I get this for about 550 € (or hopefully less) is this worth it, or should I look for a new Mac mini or even a cheap PC with Windows Vista home premium (maybe 64-bit) or something similar? I know, i definitly need a min. of 2 GB RAM.

I've got around 750 € for a (new) computer.

I would need the computer for illustrations, dtp and some 2D animation works (so nothing special), but I would like to have two monitors option.

Or would be the Mac mini a better option, because the faster RAMs and because it draws much less power, than the big Mac? I already got 2x250 GB HDDs, from my actual PC (Pentium 4, 2 GHz, but got problems with it's RAM memory and since it's so expensive, I think I rather invest into a "new" computer), I would use these somehow, whatever I get: the Mac pro or a new Mac mini. Or should I buy a new PC?

I've got a cross-platform painter X license and two licenses (Windows and Mac) of Adobe CS3 Design Standard, so software wise it doesn't matter.

What are your opinions? Thanks for your answers.

2. opeter thread starter macrumors 65816

opeter

Yeah, I know... Here is one image from the front side:

[​IMG]

What do you think, is it wort to buy for 500-550 €?

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

That's the 1st thing that came to mind here too! Hmm..

Anyway, I think it's worth 550€ easy (Check other auctions 1st to make sure). But I don't think a new case is worth 300€. Not even close. If it were me I'd scoop up on the deal and then get creative with ideas for feet or suspension of some kind on the free.

Instead put that 300 toward a pair of used X5355 chips and turn it into an octad. ;)

I mean, if people can do like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I guess it wouldn't be too hard to come up with something that's at least functional. :)

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

If you like fixing things, it could be a fun project. Otherwise, stay away IMHO.

EDIT: Didn't read the post. lol.

5. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

Did you even read his post?
    Take it back where?
    Lazy... LOL

--------

BUY IT :D

I would definitely buy it, but only if everything is good under the hood.
    Hell, they sell for a nice average of ~ $1800 USD ~ $1340.58 EURO

It is still every expandable, which is why I wouldn't chose the Mac Pro over the Mini.
    You can put your two extra HDs into the MP, and upgrade too a little more ram and OSX 10.5 :)

Unless you think you won't need all of that,

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

You are correct good sir. lol. I read it then corrected my self.

7. opeter thread starter macrumors 65816

opeter

Well, the price right now is 560 € and it seems, as it will not top at 600, but more. Will not buy it.

Maybe I'll get a new Mac mini in a month or two. Since I can get the mini for about 600 € (with discount), upgrade the RAM etc. and it will have 1 year guaranty...