Mac Pro from China

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by studiovibes, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studiovibes macrumors newbie

Im from the Caribbean and we are large importers of China goods. I wanna know what China site would be best to order a Mac Pro desktop that takes paypal. I saw a few people here that got theirs from China. Any suggestions as to what site?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are built in China and shipped directly from Apple to the customer or to Apple warehouses/stores. They don't use 3rd party importers. You can buy directly from the Apple China store, if you like.

3. interrobang macrumors 6502

'cept Mac Pros are assembled in the USA (at least for US customers. I think European models are assembled in Ireland, and other regions may indeed get their Mac Pros from China or somewhere else.)

This is only the case Mac Pro, because Mac Pros are more likely to be custom-build machines, and their higher prices make it worthwhile to do the work locally.(Note I said "assembled," not "made." The parts still come from China or wherever, it's just the final putting-the-pieces-in-the-case that happens elsewhere.)

4. RANDY P macrumors newbie

my 2011 MBP was built in Shanghai- shipped from there.

Disappointing but the quality is good.

rjp

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All MBPs are built in and shipped from Shanghai, and have been for years. Why is that disappointing?

6. RANDY P macrumors newbie

Because I'd rather have it made here in the USA. Especially for as much as this thing costs.

rjp

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

8. RANDY P, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

RANDY P macrumors newbie

Vs China? Ya I think so. We also need jobs here.

is there a problem with that?

EDIT: oh, read the thread - you must be overseas. Too bad. I'd still prefer it made here. Hate me if you will. I don't care.

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's absolutely ridiculous and insane. What is it with these Americans (definitely not all of you!) that have this feeling of being the greatest nation on earth? Surely it depends on how to define 'greatest' but you get my point.

So if you think you are already paying so much for MP and is still from China then expect to pay even more.

There is no problem wanting more jobs in any countries. Dream all you want but you won't see 'made in USA' any time soon. You are the one who's hating, not me. I am more than happy to have a product that is made in China (as long as the QC is good).

10. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

in a global world, your reasoning like "we'd better produce local and buy local" does not make any sense

if everybody were to think like you, there would not be any international trade

you should realize that 90% of goods you enjoy are made in China

nothing to do with quality

of course, all countries need to create jobs

but are you willing to pay twice the price for a product that can be manufactured for much less in Asia ?

if some people don't care about spending money, most people are willing to save a dime on everything they buy

most countries can create jobs in various areas, which are not necessarily production/manufacturing

for instance, retail jobs to sell goods manufactured from overseas...

11. RANDY P, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011

RANDY P macrumors newbie

It's your thinking that kills off the prosperity in this country. By your logic people should be all shopping at Wal Mart and the only auto manufacturer that should survive here is Hyundai.

If what you want to buy costs $XXX.XX you will buy it if that's what it costs. That theory is proven all day, every day in the marketplace.

check the thread linked above in the ipad . I have given a lengthy response.

Oh, and make no mistake I am NOT into having people go jobless here so YOU can have a job making your 1 yuan an hr in the factory.

PS Chinese quality generally sucks. Face it.

Do you live in the USA?

12. 482214 macrumors 6502

oh dear

13. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

based on this principle, Europeans should buy European, American should buy American and everybody should stop interacting...

it would be a mix between racism, protectionism and simply the end of free trade in the world....

the tshirt you wear is made in China, the keyboard you're using right now is made in China

even if you buy fruits cultivated in the US, the tools used for agriculture are coming from parts made in China and all over the world

no offense, but i don't see the point of discussing this as you already have you own opinion about it

supporting your own country is a good thing, but should not prevent you from being open-minded. the economy is global

14. RANDY P macrumors newbie

Ever use a hand tool? Do you drive a car?

rjp

15. RANDY P macrumors newbie

you are technically correct. We cannot go far in this country without having something Chinese made. It sucks

It's benefited you more than it has us. This country was just fine before we gave China favored trade status.

The reason why I say what I say is that we are a country that is about to fall apart due to lack of critical revenue because we don't produce. We don't produce so therefore there are no jobs. There no jobs, there are no tax dollars paid, people go hungry

How would you like your next ipod to cost $1000 USD? If this country fails and the USD collapses that's what gonna happen to you. Assuming there is an Apple.

rjp

PS you being out of the country definitely benefit more from this than we do here.

16. 482214 macrumors 6502

Yes, being uk based i know that most products i purchase are
    Foreign made ... The worst car i have ever owned was a ford
    Probe... The best, a mitsubishi L200; man i loved that pick up.

Tools wise - best drill i have ever bought was a Hitatchi... Though dewalt makes an amazing impact driver... I find bosch tools aren't so good.

Whats the point of this anyway?!

17. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

just another occasion to show racism and some hatred...

18. RANDY P, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011

RANDY P macrumors newbie

Buy Chinese sourced parts for your car. Then use Chinese tools to put it in. See what an excruciating experience you will have with that.

To somewhat imply that Chinese have QC down is a joke at best.

rjp

If you can't disprove the reasoning, throw the race card.

LOL.

rjp

19. 482214 macrumors 6502

Ok... I can see where this is heading.

I'll be honest, you are starting to sound a bit silly... I've lived all over the world. QC comes and goes depending on the people/company behind it and the drive behind them at any given time.

I shall take leave of this thread now.

20. RANDY P macrumors newbie

Ya don't say? Thats brilliant.

rjp

21. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

same here

I shall take leave of this kind of person in general :rolleyes:

22. RANDY P macrumors newbie

Bye race baiter.

rjp

23. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

Interesting topic.. Chinese quality used to suck until companies like Apple invested in technology to make manufacturing processes better. In a global economy It makes sense to manufacture in a place where labor is cheap and ports have geographic advantage. Shanghai is one of those places. It is at a premium location to receive supplies for building and shipping final products. This is not necessarily bad for the US as economies become larger they tend to steer away from manufacturing and focus on technology and services. and that is where the US excels. It is not China taking over the world it is merely economic evolution. also wait until the Yuan becomes a free floating currency and then you will see Apple going to Thailand or India and then everybody will be talking about how India or Thailand will take over the world.. Japan was in the same place that China is now they flooded the market with cheap goods and then they focused on quality once the distribution channels were set.

24. RANDY P macrumors newbie

Exactly- corporations would not be sourcing overseas except for profits. Thats understandable. That's the idea of being in business.

What I'm saying tho is we're killing host in the process. We HAVE to find a way to lower operating costs here in this country to make it viable to have production here.

China has some distinctly different issues- lack of regard for workers laws, wages, environment all culminate to make it a haven for businesses. Where it's going to differ VS what happened in the USA over the last 50 years is there is no desire to improve the conditions.

China doesn't exactly have the best human rights record. I don't see them forming an EPA, an OSHA, wage laws anytime soon. People are expendable there.

How does this relate to the USA going BK? We need to stop punishing corporations, and start implementing requirements to have production here. Maybe a small production operation here, and one overseas. We have to force corporations to do that. To operate your business based on sheer profitability which we allow to happen will in the long run destroy our economy.

That's why I say what I say. I can understand the other posters views- they have no vested interest in what happens here-

that is until there is no more apple, or what's left will cost thousands of USD's to obtain.

We change the laws, and free enterprise will find a way to make it fit and be profitable. We can do it.

rjp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.