MAC PRO future buyer

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by PITIRRE, Dec 30, 2008.

1. PITIRRE macrumors newbie

I have a MAC G4 that I bought several years ago, Iwas thinking on buying a mac pro to have more than enough memory to the kind of work that I am doing. Most of my work is doing kind of experimental projects, short films that I produced myself, and I don't have like a full time .business doing this, although I charge for works that I do to several people but this is once in a while. But I realize that even with the kind of work that I do, my MAC G4 its getting to short for me and I getting not enough memory even to the kind of work that I do.. It is a good thing to buy the MAC Pro or not?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes it's a good thing. If you can wait a few months then do, new ones are one their way very soon...hopefully.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

If you want masses of RAM and hard disk inside the machine then Yes a Mac Pro will serve you well (wait for the 2009 possible update tho as new machines will be nice, and also will (hopefully) drive down the prices on the early2008 models).

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wait for the Nehalem Mac Pro, due to be released some time Q1 2009. Not MacWorld. Not January.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you can wait, do so, as it's seems it will be worth it. :D

The timing is awhile off yet, as Intel hasn't yet delivered the CPU's. :(
    Assuming they barely meet the Q1 '09 self imposed deadline, figure Mar. 30 before they ship. Add 8 weeks for Apple to deliver systems, so end of May/beginning of June '09 is realistic IMO. :eek:

Intel could surprise me, but I wouldn't bet on that one. :D :p

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Why have him wait? Yes the prices will drop on the 2008's but if he's not doing his work full time, and a bump up to a 2.8 or 3.0 MP at a nice price now, may be more than what he need's .............

Granted he has waited this long and we're talking another 6 months down the road, even with the economy going down and down, I do not think apple will drop there prices.

Just my 10 cents.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple won't drop their prices, but the refurbs will. eBay prices will go down as well.

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Seconded. I'm buying one the day it is announced.... (not in Jan I expect)