Mac Pro / G5 Wireless Upgrade Kits

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ldneil, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ldneil macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Does anyone know the exact name and part numbers for Wireless upgrade kits for the following machines:

G5 Dual 2.0 ghz - (main board has 8 slots for RAM upgrade)

mac pro Quad 3.0ghz

I've been searching around in circles trying to find this out and I'm just getting no where!

Really appreciate any help one this one!

many thanks,

_neil_

:)

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Jumpin Jehosaphat those are expensive:eek:

You may want to consider a USB Wireless-N dongle. This Maxpower is $50 and has a USB extension cable so you can position it for better reception.

Alternatively since the G5 has PCI slots you can get the Newer Tech PCI wireless-n.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

yeah theyre quite spendy for some bizarre reason, id recommend the 802.11n Dongles they do the trick just as well and are considerably cheaper.

on my 1.8Ghz single-cpu G5 i used a dongle and it works without any issues.
    i tried to tether it to an AirPort express; it worked but i wanted less cabling a bit cheaper solution.

5. ldneil thread starter macrumors newbie

hey folks! many many thanks for the excellent tips! I'm very interested in the Max Power Wireless unit - but I live in the UK. Can you suggest something similar over here that will do the same job?

thankyou so much!

_neil_

:)

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Here is Newer Technologies international resellers listing.
    http://www.newertech.com/inter_resellers.php

Here is one of the UK resellers.
    USB Dongle
    PCI Card

Their are probably cheaper resellers in the UK but I do not know the UK Mac stores. Just look for Newer Technology products in other Mac stores you may know of since Newer Tech products are all made for Mac.

Also many other wireless products can be made to work with Mac OS X. Their are only a handful of chipsets that the majority of manufacturers use. Just google by name and model number for Mac OS X compatibility. For some their are third party drivers and some just plug in and work in Mac OS X. Many others just require a minor edit of the driver to include your cards vendor and device id's.

7. ldneil thread starter macrumors newbie