Mac Pro gaming "NOT THE NEW ONE"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Volker, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Volker macrumors newbie

Hello,

I want to buy a mac pro.. I plan to use it just for windows gaming, and some cisco networking.. I would build a windows pc but I like the look of the mac pros.. also then I can use OSX.

So I was thinking of getting one of the 6, or 8 core mac pros.. Can I install any graphics card in it?

Thanks
    Volker

2. Volker thread starter macrumors newbie

What would be the oldest mac pro I would want to buy?

Thank!!

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

and yes you can install a graphics card in it.

Do you like peeing up ropes?

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

For gaming, the 2009 single CPU model is all you need, then upgrade the CPU to W3690, and a decent GPU (or 2 GPU in SLI) for gaming (The PSU mod may be useful for you to power the real top gaming cards).

If you just "may" use it in OSX, then you can choose almost whatever GPU you want for gaming in Windows (as long as you know how to power it). However, if you really plan to use it in OSX, then you need to do some study and make sure your card works in OSX (or how to make it work).

5. pertusis1 macrumors 6502

Good advice. Awesome computer still.

6. Volker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you h9826790, I'm going to look and see what graphics cards work with the Mac pro from 2009.. It would be nice to have it work in OSX, and windows.

Thanks!!

7. Macdctr macrumors regular

also upgrade the memory so you have more than adequate amount. I recently scored a 32GB kit for $80 on ebay for my 2009 MP.

8. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

I use a 2010 Mac Pro (2x 2.4ghz) with 32gb ram and a MVC GTX770, runs most games on ultra! Its an expensive computer to use for ONLY gaming though.