Mac Pro Gigabit adapters

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by emt377, Apr 11, 2009.

1. emt377 macrumors member

Does anyone know of a dual/quad gigabit ethernet adapter that will work with minimum fuss in my early 2008 Mac Pro? I'm doing kernel work on protocol stacks and want to give each VM guest instance its own physical cable, so I can use my VLAN switch to configure test conditions without screwing up the host system. One port on the host remains its plain old network connection and to telnet to the switch (IOS); the other will attach to a managed port on the switch to record traffic traces (wireshark). I then need two (preferably four) more to rig test cases between VMs. Performance isn't critical (optimization happens later and is hardware specific anyway) - but I need gbe and jumbo frame support for the functional part.

Availability and reliability is more important than price.

The Apple cards seem to require an Xserve, which is a no-go for me.

BTW, in the past I've done similar work with a pile of Shuttles (this is for Linux) and a KVM switch. It's such a massive PITA that I'm really hoping I can work using VMs this time around...

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

In your machine's case, Yes. :)

Sonnet GE1000LA2X-E (Dual Port). ;) It will work in an '08 MP, but place it in one of the PCIe 1.0 (4x slots). It won't work in PCIe 2.0 slots (so not in an '09 MP).

3. emt377 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Thank you - this is exactly what I was hoping to find!!!