Mac Pro Glitches after HD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mvs, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mvs macrumors newbie

I hired a small company that specializes in Mac repairs, upgrades, etc. Guy came out to my house and installed Western Digital 500GB on my Macbook Pro 08 w/Snow Leopard. He told me to let it run and reboot. I did.

Next day I noticed issues:
    -devices are not recognized by iTunes including my iPad; iPhone; iPod
    -iPhoto, see images but opens to black

There may be more issues....
    Does anyone know what the issue might be? Advice?

I have tried repeatedly to get help from the person I hired and paid well.
    It's been over a week and he "guarantees" his work!

2. mvs thread starter macrumors newbie

re-installed iTunes

I posted on facebook and someone suggested re-installing iTunes. That worked and it's now reading my devices.

Does anyone recommend this for iPhoto as well? I'm apprehensive although I have everything backed up. The issue is I can see images but when I click to open, it's black, no image.

Thanks!!

3. saminsocks, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

saminsocks macrumors regular

It's been a long time since I've used iPhoto, but it sounds like it's not recognizing the location where your photos are. Something may have happened that messed up the mapping. What version are you using?

In iPhoto '09 (version 8), you can select all your images, right click and go to rescan for location. I'm not sure how accurate that is, since I've never had to do it, but it should do the trick, if mapping is your problem.

4. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

try starting iPhoto while holding down the option and command key... you then have a few selections to rebuild the library/thumbnails.

5. mvs thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone suggested this:
    1)install your iphoto from your install disk (just toss the old app first, not the library)
    2)Go to HardDrive / Library / Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

Trash the app from your Applications folder

Re-install iphoto

----
    So I did all this and now when I try to open iPhoto:
    I deleted all pkg file w/iPhoto in the name. Re-installed iPhoto from '09 disc. I open and get this message, "You can't open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto. You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit nd use the latest version of iPhoto. (which I thought I did by using the 09 disc)

6. mvs thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried this yesterday but I'm doing it again now that I've done the above.

7. mvs thread starter macrumors newbie

Wondering....what do you use instead? I also have Picasa and thinking maybe I just should forget iPhoto altogether. Just curious.