Mac Pro: Good time to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by k1037, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. k1037 macrumors newbie

    Jun 24, 2007
    I know the 8-core Mac Pro only came out recently, but the 4-core version has been out since last August with the exact same starting price as is listed now - ($2500).

    For some reason it just doesn't feel right that it's been nearly a year, Intel has lowered the prices on their chips, a newer version of the Mac Pro is out.. but the Quad Core prices remain exactly the same.

    I want to invest in a new Mac Pro (this dual-2.0 G5 is getting a bit worn down and I have more than enough money to upgrade), but I don't want to buy a 5k+ system setup and have new Cinema Displays, graphics cards, processor speeds/price drops, etc. happen a month or two from now.

    Is now a good time to buy?
  2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040


    Jan 16, 2007
    I'd go with no. But have you looked at MacRumors Buying guide?
    They say yes.
  3. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    No it isn't. There are dozens of threads in the Mac Pro & Power Mac subforum discussing changes and possible times for new Mac Pros, mostly in relation to Intel's July 29th Xeon price changes and a new workstation platform and processors later in the year (november/dcember).
  4. darwen macrumors 6502a


    Apr 12, 2005
    California, US
    The interesting thing about the Mac Pro is that you dont really need to worry about all this. You should be getting it because you need it as a tool. My 2 year old G5 is still running great!

    I would lean twards yes. The 8-core update should be considered an update. These do not get updates all that often.
  5. bmat macrumors 6502

    Nov 24, 2004
    East Coast, USA
    I got mine in later January/February, and people were still saying it was due for an update. I thought about it, and got it anyway because I needed it. I'm glad I didn't wait, because I'd effectively still be waiting.

    If you need it, get it.
  6. panzer06 macrumors 68030


    Sep 23, 2006
    I second that, we bought one for our 11 year old daughter because it was time to get rid of her slow Windows tower. Buy when you need it (unless you have very good info, like the MB Pro SR update) always to seems to work best. Besides, the nice thing about Mac Pros is the nearly limitless upgrade capability

  7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

    Jan 13, 2003
    I got mine last month, no regrets.

    Wait unless you need it now. My PB was holding me back, out of disk space, too slow for graphics, etc, so I didn't want to wait anymore. Besides, I wouldn't have bought the new one anyway, I would have waited for any bugs and kinks to be worked out after the first batch so I was looking at waiting until early 2008 for the new ones, too long for me.
  8. FF_productions macrumors 68030


    Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    I bought my Mac Pro about a week ago and I have no regrets. It is a powerhouse.

    I didn't want to wait months for Apple to update the machine, this machine is more then enough for me and I will be set for years.
  9. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Nov 30, 2004
    You bought a Mac Pro for an 11 year old?!? Feel free to send me some of that extra cash you have laying around :p
  10. panzer06 macrumors 68030


    Sep 23, 2006
    She's been a very good girl and I wanted her first Mac to be very powerful. :)

    A laptop was not an option because the text is too small but the 23 inch Apple display (Set to 1600x1000) that came with the Mac Pro works well for her.

  11. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god


    May 11, 2007
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA
    A mac pro and a 23 inch Apple display . . . Like Wow!!!
    She got a great set up there.
  12. SalukiWildcat macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2007
    Personally, I've had my Quad 2.66 Mac Pro for about 2 months now, and I've never been happier. It's an incredible machine :)

    If you absolutely need the machine now, then go for it. Despite the possibility of an update, the current configuration is a powerhouse, and will surely suit your needs.

    However, if you can wait, possibly even until October, wait for the next revision (Blu-Ray, SS Chipset, iSight integrated Displays) of these two products...

    It all depends on if you can wait or not.
  13. ktbubster macrumors 6502a


    Jan 20, 2007
    God... you ever hear of a 24 inch (or even 20) iMac?! A mac pro with a 23inch acd? Dang. That is the luckiest 11 year old girl ever! She can never complain about not having an outlet for her movie/art/gaming/anything else imaginable creativity, that's for sure!

    :-D This is not bashing btw. Just mear amazement on how lucky she is!
  14. hayduke macrumors 65816


    Mar 8, 2005
    is a state of mind.
    One word replies are frowned upon by the gods etc. so I have to write this sentence. Otherwise I would have just written:

  15. k1037 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 24, 2007
    Appreciate the responses so far.

    To clarify, I don't absolutely *need* it right now and wouldn't mind waiting a little (preferably less than 3 months), but if there aren't going to be updates for a while (say, until next year or so) then it would be very nice to go ahead and get it as soon as possible.
  16. ob81 macrumors 65816


    Jun 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach
    Do not buy yet if you don't need it. Simple. Wait until about end of August or something. Yeah, yeah all these guys say they have no regrets getting the Mac Pro NOW, but wait until one way more powerful and cheaper comes out (which is not foreign dealing with Apple) then see what they have to say.

    Its happened to the best of us.


Share This Page