Mac Pro graphic card upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fallenhitokiri, Jul 29, 2009.

1. fallenhitokiri macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to the whole Apple hardware business. So maybe this is a stupid questions but after some research I didn't find an answer that convinced me.

I want to buy a Mac Pro for some video and image editing. I play World of Warcraft and I also want to run it on my Mac Pro. The Geforce 120 seems to be a bit too weak to run WoW at full resolution (I think I'll go with 2 Samsung screens (FullHD resolution)). The Radeon seems fine.
    But it seems like I could get my hands on a previous generation Mac Pro with a outdated graphic card.

So now my question: You can order a Geforce 285 for ~500€ in a Apple store. Other retails offer 285s for something around 250€. A Radeon for ~150€.
    Would it be possible to buy a card from - let's say - Asus and use it in my Mac without firmware patching, kext hacking and what else you can do to get a card working that finally delivers no performance and crash your system because OSX doesn't really support it?

regards
    Timo

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You need to buy a Mac graphics card to use in a Mac.

I can't imagine why you'd think WoW wouldn't run well on a Mac Pro. I run it with all graphics settings maxed on my stock early 2008 iMac. (1680x1050) Your graphics card will be more than enough to play any extant game.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=713428

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=727778

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=751062

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=707745

Kextfiles or flashing does not in any way make your system unstable. Read some more.

A PC card will only work in Windows on Mac Pro unless modified.

With 4890, still getting only about 20-60fps with all maxed 1900x1200.

4. fallenhitokiri thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers.

Are you running it with advanced shadows (Lich King extension?)

If I look at a current iMac with one of the Geforce cards it won't run maxed out (1920x1200) with more than 20fps in a raid situation. Most of the time it is below 20fps and that's not what I'd call "running great".

That's why I asked about the graphic cards.

I think I'll have enough to read with those links thanks :)+

Should I expect any issues if I just add a second card to a existing 120?
    Or does the game just use the card that is connected to the screen where it should run and everything is fine?
    A triple screen setup would be nice,...

5. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I played WoW on low with around 10-20 FPS, it ran fine IMO. Now I run it about 20-30, under 20 in raids. It's still very playable.

6. fallenhitokiri thread starter macrumors newbie

10-20 frames is what I have with my Pentium M 1.5GHz, 1GB Ram, Radeon 9200 mobile 64MB Ram notebook from 2004 in a 10 man raid.
    (resolution: 1680x1050, everything on low expect casting effects, second position from left)

Yes it is playable, but if I now buy a new system why not building one that will handle FullHD with everything on max with more than 25 frames? :)

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Because there are starving children in Nicaragua? :rolleyes:

8. fallenhitokiri thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay okay, you won.
    I'll donate 5€ when I buy my new system.

9. ingridseynhaeve macrumors newbie

Hi fallenhitokiri ,

Yes, may be it happen but whether to go on this way you may have to prefer the straight way because you tell me about this problem I want to tell you that by branded product with their support so you can get benefits in future.
    Like there is no need to worry about any problem.Even we can hack card and put it in a some other MAC pc but there is no security about it.
    It's interesting but not good. So I really prefer you to go on a right way. Thank you. :)