Mac Pro Graphics Cards in G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Sep 20, 2014.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Does anyone know if PCI-E graphics cards from a first generation Mac Pro will also work in a Late 2005(PCI-E graphics) G5?

From what I've seen, the Mac Pro cards are more available and(slightly) less expensive than the PCI-E cards specific to G5s.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The ATI Radeon X1900 may work, but it would need to be flashed first. I seem to recall that it didn't work, even after flashing it with the OpenFirmware/PowerPC ROM.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks...sounds like if I want to upgrade, I'd be better off to look for the G5 cards.

4. weckart macrumors 601

I flashed a PC 1900XT card. Cost peanuts and is working in my G5. Mac equivalents still carry a premium.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you by chance have a guide or link to the appropriate files and procedures for that flash?

6. weckart macrumors 601

Most of the technical information is to be found here and other pages on the site:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

You need to get a fairly early version of atiflash and find a host PC to do the flashing. While it appears that you can flash on a Mac using Graphiccellerator, it did not work for me when I tried flashing a card on my Quicksilver.

The card I actually flashed was an X1950XT and the ROM for that is not to be found on the link above. The rom I used was found below

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1556317&page=2

Make sure you get an X1950XT with a two lane cooler. Check the images on the Macelite site as there are various versions and not all lend themselves to flashing. You sacrifice a PCIe lane but the card is much quieter than the slimmer ones.

Compared with flashing bioses, flashing gpus is a very quick process with minimal feedback. Blink and you miss it.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Very informative!