Mac Pro graphics issues (artifacting?) Please help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AdiosVista, Oct 19, 2008.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Hello,

Just bought my new mac pro within the month, already having issues!!!!! All of my applications today are looking like this:

http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1zf3.png
    http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2sf9.png

That's Safari, in case you couldn't tell :(

This is very frustrating. I have the 2.8GHz 8-core with everything default, so the graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB. The only thing I have upgraded so far has been RAM. I added 8GB of OWC 2GB sticks. Have completed the hardware test multiple times and never shows any problems.

The other "fun" thing I just got was a codec overrun error, which I'm not sure if it's related. I tried downloading Onyx to see if clearing cache would fix anything but got that error when trying to open the dmg.

This sucks! Please help. I CANNOT STAND paying this much for a computer that already has problems. I left Vista because I didn't want crashing anymore, starting to regret that decision.

2. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way, a couple weeks ago I had an issue where my desktop icons disappeared (until I selected them all manually) and a couple applications like Firefox and iCal just quit unexpectedly. Possibly related?

3. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Can you duplicate the problem at will? Is that what it always does? It might just be the video card being a defective one.

4. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

So far I have not been able to replicate the problem. All seems to be fixed after a restart, but it is very unsettling not knowing the cause. I am assuming this will be a reoccurring issue since I changed nothing before the reboot.

My guess is either video card or the RAM but neither are showing errors on the Mac hardware test.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

id just attempt to get a replacement graphics card for it and see if the same stuff happens from there try to get a replacement computer if that doesnt work.

6. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Hopefully the apple store I bought it from will ship me a new card, or will they force me to bring in the entire machine just to swap this out? It's a long drive just to get there. Or do they ever send someone to come work on these issues in-home? This is a joke already, it's a brand new computer less than a month old, I shouldn't be having problems for as much as these things costs.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I'd call up AppleCare ( 1800-APL-CARE)
    they can dispatch one to within 2days (that will be the estimated time of arrival) usually if you call before noon youll get it next day.

thats what they did for me when i was having issues with my x1900
    i called them up and next day had my replacement.

then you can test it out and see if the issue is persistent or not...from there if hte issue is all gone then youre good to go, then id recommend calling up the store to see if they can either check it out or replace with a new machine, maybe even apple care could do that for you to over the phone since its only within the month.

hope that helps.

8. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks for the helpful advice!

9. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I haven't called up apple care to request a new video card yet because the more I read around, the more things it sounds like this problem could be. Someone said a bad PSU would also cause freezes and display "blockiness" like I've seen. Others have said it could be bad logic board (I don't even know what that is...). A few have said it could be the 8GB OWC ram that I'm running with the stock 2GB apple ram, even though the hardware test passed (extended and short versions). Can anyone please comment on their best guess or further tests I can perform before blaming any one specific part? Thank you.

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

well your only bet is to try some testing.

the logicboard is the main board of the system (equivalent of a PCs motherboard) where the graphic card is attached.

get the replacement video card. while youre waiting for that take out all the owc rram and just use the stock ram and do what oyu normally do to achieve the artifacts and if htey appear try just a pair of the owc ram each at a time see if thatmight cause a problem.
    if its not the graphics card you can always return it at no cost to you.

then when the graphics card arrives and nothing changes then you you should get it checked out.

you may also want to try a fresh installation of Leopard to see if it occurs and maybe it was just abad driver or corrupted preference file.

or even before that you maywant to try and create a new user account to test out and see if the same instances occur

11. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

So when I send out for the replacement card and apple mails one to me, do I get charged to swap it into my machine and then mail back the old one? I was hoping that would be covered under the apple care.

12. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Generally theyll just put a hold on your account but wont actually charge you unless oyu dont send back the card.

most places do this and Ive had to do a few (unfortunately) swaps for small parts (memory/gfx card/hard drive) and they give oyu all you need to send it back (you send it back in the same box) and they charge you anything, once they get the repalcement back they remove the hold.

if not the store itself could get the replacement sent there or whatever works generally

13. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help. I'll continue running memory tests tonight and call apple care to at least swap the video card so I can also eliminate that as the culprit.

14. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

not a problem at all.

hope it all turns out well for you and you can get this cleared and good to go!
    keep the thread posted on any updates to it as I'd be interested to know what the culprit is and how it turns out

15. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Start thinking rationally instead of with your emotions. New things can have troubles too just like old things do. In fact, troubles usually show up right out of the box or shortly there after…….. be it a computer, hairdryer, car or what ever. Your problems have nothing to do with the price you paid. We all experience having cheep things that under perform as do expensive things. It’s all disappointing, but just the way it is. My suggestion is if your really upset and feel cheated………return it for a refund if your grace period is still in effect. If you want to fix it…….APPLE will do that for you too. Life is full of choices………….

16. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

The computer should have been well tested before shipped, simple as that. It's called Quality Assurance and should be a part of the large price tag. By the way, problem has been solved by replacing the defective video card.

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

Should you be happy with apple? No, you're within your rights to be upset. However, every company makes and ships defective product. Obviously Apple is happy to work out your issue.

A single bad stick of memory can do a lot of strange things, but if you're coming up roses with the memory tests, then your initial guess of the card is probably sound.

18. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, as I mentioned above, the replacement video card seems to have fixed it, I haven't experienced the graphics error since. The one thing I've been extremely happy about is AppleCare.

19. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Gland you ended up with a good experience..............the best
    way to become a failure is expecting to please everybody.

20. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm gland too.