Mac Pro Graphics Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rickvanr, Jan 9, 2010.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Hello

I ordered a Mac Pro from Apple. Got it last night, and when I opened it up realized they gave me 4 x GT120, as opposed to the Radeon I ordered.

Question is, should I simply call them and ask them to send out the Radeon, or should I perhaps try selling the GT120s and buy either the Mac Radeon 4870, a PC 4890 and flash it, or look at the EVGA mac card? What's my best bet.

Thanks

2. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

I would call Apple and explain the mix up and ask for the Radeon 4870 free of charge, since it was obviously a mistake on there end and a inconvenience for you.

Thats the moral thing to do.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

expect ~$100 for gt120, 4x = $400

then get a pc 4870 1gb for liek 150$. tada, more powerful card, 250$ cash for you.

I have no moral against company that lies to sell more computers (for example, claiming 4870 is not compatible with old mac pros)

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Although I agree with Cindori on principle, I would probably just contact Apple and tell them of the mixup. They'll trade you, no problem.

5. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I would call Apple and explain the mixup as in the future this may cause conflicts with your Applecare. :D

6. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Called the apple store and they basically said that since it's a replacement machine what you got is what you get. I'm still going to try and call AppleCare and see if they can do anything but in the meantime 3 of 4 are now up for grabs in the marketplace.

7. aibo macrumors 6502

Sell 3 of them, keep 1 in there. Then bring it to the Apple store and tell them you didn't get the Radeon 4870 you ordered.

Kidding.

...maybe.

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

What? I hope you're not going to take this crap! I don't care if it's a refurb -- if it was supposed to come with the 4870, then that's what you should have gotten. Four GT120's are pretty much useless you. You shouldn't have to go through the trouble of selling them to cover the cost of buying the 4870 you expected to get.

That said, I just checked the refurb page, and all the MPs there come with the GT120. Do you have anything on paper that says you were supposed to get the 4870, or are you perhaps mistaken?

9. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

The thought did cross my mind.. damn morals

Yeah, I'm going to call back again tomorrow and try to be a little more stern.

No, nothing on paper. The store is about an hour away. I took my G5 in after it wouldn't power up and there was a yellow fuzzy patch under my processors. After ordering parts, it still wouldn't fire up so they called and said they'd replace it with a "like" machine. Basically, top of the line then with top of the line now, so we went over the specs on the phone. I wrote it all down, but nothing on paper with signatures or anything. It's exactly what they said I'd get except for the 4 x GT120s instead of the Radeon 4870, and for some reason they threw in an extra 640GB HD.

10. akadmon macrumors 68010

Apple gave you a top of the line MP for your G5? How did you convince them to do this? Your G5 must surely be off Applecare!

I dunno... If I got a deal like this, I'd probably feel bad about complaining too much. You are so damn lucky! :)

11. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

It's their policy I guess if the liquid cooling system leaks. The G5 was a year and a half out of warranty. I do feel lucky, that's why I don't want to put up too much of a fuss, but at the same time I just would like to receive what they said I'd be getting. If they said 4 x GT120 at the beginning I'd be fine with it.