Mac Pro (GT 120) wont do 1920x1200

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Firebar, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Firebar macrumors member

Hi all,

Just wondering if other people have experienced this same problem. I'm running an HP w2408h 24" widescreen monitor with the 8-core 2009 MP with GT120 graphics card. For some reason the Mac won't pick up the supported resolutions correctly. The monitor is capable of 1920x1200 however the best I can get it 1920x1080 - so everything is slightly squashed and blurred.

Now, my old 2007 Mac Mini (Original Core 2 Duo) picks up the supported resolutions fine and 1920x1200 is possible.

Note that I'm running from DVI > HDMI.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

System Preferences > Displays > Display

Resolutions: 1920 x 1200

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

HDMI doesn't support 1920x1200 so I imagine that is the issue.

4. Firebar thread starter macrumors member

Works fine on my PC & Mac Mini.... :confused:

5. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Yes it does, but in most devices only up to 60 Hz at 24 bit colour (16.7M colours). Check that your refresh rate isn't set to higher than 60 Hz, but it shouldn't be, given that LCDs run at 60 Hz.

6. Firebar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. The refresh rate is set to 60 Hz. However I notice it says "60 Hz NTSC" or "50 Hz PAL". I think the problem may be that Leopard is seeing the monitor as though it were a TV... :S

7. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Same problem

I posted a thread on this and got no hits, glad to see you did.

I contacted Apple and the tech told me it is a known issue with dvi/mp to hdmi and suggested SwitchRezX in order to get my Mac to show 1920x1200. It worked and now I have the correct option but before I used SRX all it listed were TV resolutions.

Apparently they are working for a fix with 10.5.7 but it is ridiculous that I had to pay $19 to fix a problem I didn't have with my previous iMac when I bought this Mac Pro.

Hope this helps.

8. Watchbird macrumors newbie

Similar Problem with Eizo CG242W monitor.

The issue below has been resolved. Direct DVI/DVI interface between this monitor and GT120 card on MacPro now works. Problem appears not to involve GT120 card at all. Diagnosis does continue to determine "root cause" with evidence pointing to a loose connector pin possibly combined with cross-talk from an adjoining cable.

I have an Eizo CG242W monitor (very similar to the Eizo CG242W model). The native resolution of this monitor is 1920x1200. I have been trying for days to drive this monitor with a direct DVI/DVI connection using the GT120.

The only way I can get this monitor to play is to use the Minidisplayport, thusly: Use the Apple minidisplayport to VGA adapter. Attach a VGA to DVI cable (supplied by Eizo) to the adapter and to the monitor. I am then limited to VGA resolutions.

When I try dual monitor mode (CG242W in DVI/DVi mode and also a VGA monitor driven by the minidisplayport adapter, the display preferences show that both monitors have been detected. However, the CG242W is not recognizing any video.

Looks like the GT120 may well be the culprit here. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem with their 1920x1200 high res monitors.

9. Abidubi macrumors 6502

And why on earth did you buy a MDP to VGA adapter to connect to a DVI monitor when apple makes MDP to DVI adapters?

10. Watchbird macrumors newbie

I tried that adapter, Abidubi

I also purchased the Apple minidisplayport to DVI adapter. It would not work with either a DVI dual link or a DVI single link cable. So far, the monitor only sees video in the VGA mode. The Eizos put out a repetitive message on the screen if they do not see video, or see video that is "out of spec" for the monitor.

11. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc