Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcastro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Hi there.

So i have a mac pro 2.8 that i bought last year. I also purchased a nvidia 8800 gt upgrade card. Recently I was having trouble on start up that i would get just a black screen, but after a few reboots, mac osx would boot up. Today though i have been unsuccessful in starting up my machine. I press the power button, it makes the famous bong sound, and then nothing, black screen and the fan on the video card is going at its max (vacumm sound) and keeps going (before it would just settle down and osx would boot up). Has anyone run into a similar issue? Is the video card the problem? i went around town including an apple store, but no one carries mac video cards! I've done a search but having a hard time finding a solution. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

George

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Recently I was having trouble on start up that i would get just a black screen, but after a few reboots, mac osx would boot up. Today though i have been unsuccessful in starting up my machine. I press the power button, it makes the famous bong sound, and then nothing, black screen and the fan on the video card is going at its max (vacumm sound) and keeps going (before it would just settle down and osx would boot up). Has anyone run into a similar issue? Is the video card the problem? i went around town including an apple store, but no one carries mac video cards! I've done a search but having a hard time finding a solution. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I had this exact same problem. same card/mac. Took the Mac in and got a replacement card, since then no worries.

It seems there were a few suspect 8800GT cards out there. I would say (rent a forklift) and take the Mac Pro to your Apple guys.

:) (oh and I bought a 2600HD as a 'spare' in case it ever happens again during busy work times)

gcastro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think i was the only one with this problem. I did indeed take it to the apple store, but without the forklift. Man is that thing heavy. And even worse, when the apple guys turned it on at the shop, it worked just fine! d'oh!

Still i told them the issue i was having and they kept it over night to run a diagnostic check on it. Hopefully it all checks out fine or atleast give me a new graphics card. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

-GC

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
X Fingers for you (perhaps it has a loose component?)

I hope it gets sorted (I understand only too well the pain of being Mac-Pro-less)...

gcastro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
I got a call from the apple guys. The machine gave them the same issues i was having at home and they came to the conclusion that it was indeed the graphics card that was the problem. They've replaced it for free (my 1yr warranty ends on the 29th of this month! :) ) Now i'm wondering if i should buy the apple care extended warranty just in case.

Thanks for everyone's input. Hope this helps anyone else that has similar issues with their machines.

-GC

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
If you plan on keeping this machine for a few more years then the Apple Care is a good investment (on Mac Pro it is a good value purchase).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.