Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
I just put in a new hard drive in my mac pro and every now and then when i have a issue moving files or cloning the primary drive and back the data up to the new one, I will have an error and the drive will unmount. Is this normal. I am wondering if i can make it more of a permanent mount like the primary drive.

Any idea's thanks

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
That is odd, it should not be doing that. After it unmounts, does the drive still show up in Disk Utility. And if so, if you right click on it, does it remount successfully?

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
That is odd, it should not be doing that. After it unmounts, does the drive still show up in Disk Utility. And if so, if you right click on it, does it remount successfully?

no it just goes away entirely. I have one 5ooGB drive in the "1" slot and this new 2TB drive in the "2" slot. SHould i move it around?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
no it just goes away entirely. I have one 5ooGB drive in the "1" slot and this new 2TB drive in the "2" slot. SHould i move it around?

Have you made sure that the drive is fully connected and seated correctly? If it is, try moving it into the 3rd slot to see if the connection is faulty within the 2nd one.

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Have you made sure that the drive is fully connected and seated correctly? If it is, try moving it into the 3rd slot to see if the connection is faulty within the 2nd one.

as soon as i am done with my clone i will do that. if it is not the issue what could be the problem. I can't imagine it is the drive if it works sometimes.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
as soon as i am done with my clone i will do that. if it is not the issue what could be the problem. I can't imagine it is the drive if it works sometimes.

If the slot is not the issue, it sounds like it could be the drive. Although I am curious about one thing. After the hard drive unmounts this next time, open the case of the Mac Pro and listen next to the problem hard drive. Is the platter spinning up, or is the hard drive completely powered down?

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
If the slot is not the issue, it sounds like it could be the drive. Although I am curious about one thing. After the hard drive unmounts this next time, open the case of the Mac Pro and listen next to the problem hard drive. Is the platter spinning up, or is the hard drive completely powered down?

it is still spinning.

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
If it is still getting power, then that would mean that it is most likely the SATA connection. So, try moving the hard drive to a different slot and if that doesn't work, I'd RMA it.

ok will do thanks

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
ok will do thanks

Well it just did it again. This time i was trying to get the computer to do things faster than it seemed to want too and while downloading updates it seemed to freeze up. Once it finally got out of it the drive ejected itself, it said the drive was ejected properly. I tried to find it in disk utility and it was not there.

Any idea's

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well it just did it again. This time i was trying to get the computer to do things faster than it seemed to want too and while downloading updates it seemed to freeze up. Once it finally got out of it the drive ejected itself, it said the drive was ejected properly. I tried to find it in disk utility and it was not there.

Any idea's

It sounds like a bad drive, as it is unlikely that the cables are bad in two slots. I'd RMA it now, unfortunately.

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
It sounds like a bad drive, as it is unlikely that the cables are bad in two slots. I'd RMA it now, unfortunately.

I am fine with doing it but do you think that the drive would work and then just go in and out?

Also i am just sitting and the drive just ejected and i got the warning on how i did not do it properly. WOW so not cool.

jaybezus

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
Having the same issue with no warnings though. I wonder if it isn't a glitch of some sort. Every once in a while (3 times in 6 months) it will unmount randomly. A simple reset will solve the problem.

Anyone else experience this?

MacPro4,1
OSX 10.6.2

In-Focus

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
Similar problem here...

I have a Mac Pro, with 4 internal drives. Recently, I was using Adobe Lightroom, downloading some images through a CF card reader. Everything locked up on me. I attempted to eject the card reader, and the whole system froze up. After a few minutes, I finally shut it down by holding the power button down on the unit. When I booted it back up, one of my internal drives didn't mount, and I got the error message that the system didn't recognize it. It wasn't showing up in the Drive Utility either.

I opened the system up (after shutting it down again) and pulled the drive out, then reinserted it. When I booted up again, it was there, and working just fine. However, since then, it will just randomly unmount itself and give me an error message that it ejected incorrectly. Sometimes even pulling it out and reinserting it doesn't help.

Not sure what to do at this point, or if it's the drive or the connections or an OS issue or what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.