Mac Pro Hard Drive?

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
3,105
234
gallinger said:
Hey I am looking at buying a 320 gig hard drive to put in my mac pro. Im just wondering and I want to make sure that the one im looking at will work in it.
here it is.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=196

Any SATA will do!

I'd recommend this one.. cheaper and it's seagate (seagate = better)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140

Look around newegg.com's hard drive selection, divide the price by the amount of gigs and decide that way (lowest price/gig wins!)

Avoid Maxtor/Quantum and shy away from IBM/Hitachi
 

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
24,638
61
Harrogate
slughead said:
I'd recommend this one.. cheaper and it's seagate (seagate = better)
I'm not so sure of that at this point in time. Comparative tests between the Seagate 7200.10 and the WD 3200KS (both 320Gb SATA drives) came down in favour of the WD. OK I've just re-read that and the Seagate wins, but the WD is almost as fast, quieter and cooler so I'd still buy it.

To the OP: any 3.5" SATA drive will work just fine. A website did find strange behaviour with 4x750Gb ones though...
 

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
810
0
robbieduncan said:
I'm not so sure of that at this point in time. Comparative tests between the Seagate 7200.10 and the WD 3200KS (both 320Gb SATA drives) came down in favour of the WD. OK I've just re-read that and the Seagate wins, but the WD is almost as fast, quieter and cooler so I'd still buy it.

To the OP: any 3.5" SATA drive will work just fine. A website did find strange behaviour with 4x750Gb ones though...
I'd say Seagate is better with their 5 year warranty. 1 year versus 5 years... no contest... Seagate is now my brand of choice.
 

gallinger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
175
19
Canada
Thanks for the help. When I get it, Do I have to format it or anything?
Its just i was reading somewhere on this forum and people were saying it it got messed up cause they never formated it?

thanks
 

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
810
0
gallinger said:
Thanks for the help. When I get it, Do I have to format it or anything?
Its just i was reading somewhere on this forum and people were saying it it got messed up cause they never formated it?

thanks
Disk Utility, format it HFS+ if it's going to be used only on a Mac.
 

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
542
0
i bought the Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA2
in Bay 2 of my Mac Pro
super fast!!
79MB/sec Speed unlike the WD that coems with my Mac Pro.. i get a mere 59MB/sec
 

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
229
0
I don't trust Seagate; I've had so many of them fail it's not even funny. A five year warranty is nice, but it doesn't prevent failure and it certainly doesn't get your data back. I'd rather stick with Maxtor and WD because I've had better luck with them. I've only had one of each brand fail in the 12 years or so I've been using them, and far more failures with Seagate. But your milage may vary.
 

EvilMonk

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
132
2
Montreal, Canada
mus0r said:
I don't trust Seagate; I've had so many of them fail it's not even funny. A five year warranty is nice, but it doesn't prevent failure and it certainly doesn't get your data back. I'd rather stick with Maxtor and WD because I've had better luck with them. I've only had one of each brand fail in the 12 years or so I've been using them, and far more failures with Seagate. But your milage may vary.
Hey mate, guess who buyed maxtor, yeah Seagate:D
 

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
147
0
LA
aiongiant said:
i bought the Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATA2
in Bay 2 of my Mac Pro
super fast!!
me too, and it's sooooo quiet compared to the wd that shipped with my mac pro.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
42
1123.6536.5321


EvilMonk said:
Hey mate, guess who buyed maxtor, yeah Seagate :D
Kay, it's "bought", not "buyed" - yikes... But don't worry, that is nowhere near as bad as:

mus0r said:
Them bastids buyed Maxtor? I is teh sad :(
How about: "Those bastards bought Maxtor? This makes me sad."

Even though it was in jest, thanks for giving me a chance to take on my Grammar Police role again guys, it's been a while. :D :cool:
 

thelowB

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2006
2
0
I love how these threads can turn into something completely different in about three entries.

~Shard~ read all the replies before dropping "The Grammer":D

To stay on topic, I find it interesting that most people seemed to get a WD when my Mac Pro came with a Seagate.
 

MacCurry

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
407
54
I've not tried the 320GB Seagate in the Mac Pro, but in my peecee its so hot you could cook an egg on it and can't touch it without 2nd degree burns, and that after it has good cooling and airflow. In my Mac Pro I put a 500GB Maxtor SATA-3 and its surprisingly cool. I do notice that it makes noises once in a while like its spinning when I'm not accessing it. Is it indexing or something?
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
42
1123.6536.5321
thelowB said:
~Shard~ read all the replies before dropping "The Grammer":D
I did, hence my last statement to clarify things. Evidently it wasn't clear enough that I did indeed realize the comments were made in jest (even though that's exactly what I said)... ;)
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
I have never had a problem with Western Digital and actually prefer their drives.

I have never had one of those fail on me. Whereas Seagate, one could argue that they need the 5yr warranty otherwise there would be a lot of pissed off customers. I wont go there though.

Anyhow, I would recommened that everyone buy OEM drives. The OEM Western Digital drives have a 5yr warranty like this one here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144408

The only difference between OEM is and retail is that with OEM you just get the drives, nothing else. I prefer this as I like to keep boxes around. This cuts down on that. Plus, since the Mac Pro is cableless you dont need the junk it comes with anyway.

Western Digitals replacement process is great as well. They send you a new drives you send the old one back in a prepaid box. Couldnt be better, and it is fast.

So, OEM is the way to go folks you get a longer warranty and less clutter!


EDIT: I made a mistake, that drive I linked is an enterprise class drive. Thus the 5yr warranty. Typical WD OEM drives have a 3yr. Like this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136003
 

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
289
0
Okay, this is one of those really weird coincidental things. It literally just happened. As I was visiting newegg.com and when I looked at the Seagate Barracuda hard drive, It reminded me of the song "Barracuda" by Heart, so I sang out "Barracuda!" and then literally less than a second later, the sang came on while on shuffle in iTunes. Maybe I should get a 320GB Barracuda HDD...
 

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
241
0
Baltimore, MD
Sorry I wasn't clear before, I put the WD 320 Gig in Bay 2 on my mac pro. It works just fine. Beyond that I couldn't say anything. I think I bought it b/c it was on sale and it was a really good price.