Mac Pro Hard Drives - good place to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jonnysods, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hey all, just a quick question - I'm wondering where you ordered your 3rd party hard drives for the new 2009 MP's?

I looked up OWC, NewEgg, NCIX, Tiger Direct and found similar prices, I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has a resource I'm missing.

I live in Canada, but US or CDN vendors would help!

Thanks!

2. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

TigerDirect is a fantastic place. I bought a cheapy 500GB a year ago, and she's been serving me ever since (not as good as the Seagate that came with the MP, but hey). Every place sells basically the same hard drives. I would say stick with NewEgg.com and TigerDirect.com, and also stick with brandnames like Seagate, Western Digital, and Samsung.

3. McShizzel macrumors regular

I bought 2 WD 1TB Caviar Blacks from NewEgg last month on sale for cheap ($110.39 CDN each), they provided fast shipping and I couldn't find a lower price anywhere else in town or online that shipped to Canada.

4. itou macrumors regular

canada computers.
    provided you live in toronto, you can escape shipping fees.

5. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Thanks guys!

Okay, next question - where do I go to get ram for the MP? I'm going to get 8gb. I checked OWC, seems reasonable, but the exchange rate is burning me a little right now!

I just ordered the quad today, I'm pretty pumped to see it arrive!

6. The Mook macrumors member

7. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I use price-watcher type sites for both RAM and Hard Drives. "Store Loyalty" is a suckers' game - don't play it. He who has the best prices wins! And more often than not the best customer service goes hand-in-hand with the best prices - which only makes sense. If they're willing to bend over backwards to give you the best deal and let go of some of their greed to get and keep you as a customer then so much more so for being kewl about RMAs, exchanges, or performing the little services that make shopping a good fun experience.

8. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

I've just ordered a samusung (the one previously mentioned) from NewEgg.ca. Good price, and fast shipping.

9. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

A samsung drive or samsung ram?

Can you send a link? Just curious!

10. itou macrumors regular

canadaram.com has been good to me in the past. they offer kingstons.

11. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

I ordered iRam and some seagate drives from New Egg. Should be here sooner than my Quad I ordered Tuesday.

Sigh. :(

12. gesundheit macrumors member

I've always had good luck with NCIX, usually slightly cheaper (if on sale) then Tiger or New Egg's Canadian version. (Since I live in Vancouver and can pick up at the store, it's a no-brainer for me when the prices are the same).

Got 3 of these Hitachi 1TB's (almost same performance as Caviar Black, but a little quieter), for $108 Cdn each:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35729&vpn=0A38016&manufacture=Hitachi&promoid=1029

and the Intel X25-M 80GB:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=33277&vpn=SSDSA2MH080G1C5&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1029

for my new Mac Pro. All arrived the same day, now need time to set it up!

13. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

another vote for NewEgg, i've gotten several fantastic deals here!

also, keep an eye out for, strangely enough, Best Buy, i picked up one of the new WD 2 TB internal green drives for 237.00 a few weeks ago, tremendous discount! and the first real sale i've seen on these