Mac Pro has shut down twice not sure why

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gambitman, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Gambitman macrumors newbie

I just made the switch to a MacPro (8 core leopard 10.5) from PC and I use the computer for trading stocks. Because some of the trading applications I use are still windows only (supposed to be changing) I have been running computer in bootcamp. Haven't had any problems, however last week out of the blue the computer just shut down and it happened again this am. I realize it doesn't sound like a big deal but if that was to happen 1 minute from the close of NYSE it would be bad. Anyways I am able to start it right up and everything works fine after so I don't think it is the same problem some of the macbook people are having. Just wondering how to troubleshoot this. thx

2. iFizz macrumors regular

3. Gambitman thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Gambitman thread starter macrumors newbie

I had wondered if it was overheating, (i do leave it on most of the day ) is there a way to tell whether overheating has caused a shutdown?

5. iFizz macrumors regular

OK, the Mac Pro is still new so you are under warranty. But first, make sure everything is plugged in good and tight. Next, run a full diagnostic with Tech Tools Deluxe (it's on your Install Disc if you don't already have it). Finally, I would make a call to Apple, regardless of the results of your diagnostics. Anyone else have suggestions?

6. Help! macrumors regular

You can check temperatures in OS X with a number of programs, I use the iStat Pro widget to do this (its free). I'm fairly certain the computer wont report temperatures to windows. If you want to change the fan speeds you have to do that in OS X too; whatever speeds you set in OS X will remain if you restart into bootcamp.

7. iFizz macrumors regular

While you can check the temps on your MP, you still should call Apple. This is a new computer and shouldn't be doing this. Let Apple help you fix it.

8. Gambitman thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

hey, i made a post the other day about my Mac Pro ~2 months old shutting off out of no where, it seems to have gotten more and more often, and yesterday was to the point were it would rev everything up and shut off. I called Apple said it was likely a power supply issue. i have to take it in for repair..closest place..3 1/2 hours..:(

10. Chimpy macrumors 6502

By any chance do you have a X1900 video card? I suddenly started having odd crashes in the last month or so which got worse, culminating in the machine just shutting down. Removal of the card cured the problems.