Mac Pro HD Clunk

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bld44, Oct 26, 2007.

1. bld44 macrumors 6502

My stock drive that OS X is on, a 250GB WD, is now making what sounds like clunking noises. Just started last week or so, or at least I started noticing it then. Afterwards there are a few clicks then the clunk will return at a random time a few minutes later, maybe longer. The S.M.A.R.T status for the disc is still verified and I have downloaded a program to monitor it, but am growing concerned that the drive is on its last breath. The only stuff I keep on this drive is OS X & program related, so I am not extremely concerned about losing data.

Being my first and only Western Digital drive, does anyone think I should start looking for a new one and send this in when it officially dies? Any good deals out there on seagate barracudas? (Somewhere else besides newegg.) Anyone have their stock WD drive go out yet? I purchased my mac pro in late April 07 and am sad to see it already giving up. Will I be able to install OS X after the drive dies?

2. tvbi macrumors member

Give Apple a call, I don't think you have to wait for it to be dead.. might be wrong. Mine is still working great after a year and a half.