Mac Pro HDD Problem (AHHH!)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dansai, Nov 23, 2009.

1. dansai macrumors newbie

Hello all, unfortunately it looks like I might have quite a big problem on my hands...

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a brand new WD 1-Terabyte Hard Drive and proceeded to copy all my priceless original music over to it (in multi-track form, to add to the insult). I left it about a month and finally deleted the original files and ordered a second identical 1-Terebyte drive to mirror this one for backup purposes.

Now, mere days before this new drive arrives the original 1-Terabyte drive develops a bit of a problem. Maybe you've experienced it before, basically it will sit quite happily for hours but as soon as I try to do anything it will just outright stop responding (I can still browse folders but the second I try to open / edit / move a file the drive will just "die"). In some cases it eventually disappears from the finder.

Is this a known issue or am I screwed? I know it was stupid to delete the temporary backup so early but I felt pretty confident it would last more than six weeks! :eek:

P.S. I can run a "verify disk" within Disk Utility and it all comes out perfect (until it unmounts itself, of course). This is so frustrating. I had a similar problem back in the PC days, it turned out to be an underpowered power supply... But that sort of thing can't happen to a £1800 Mac Pro, can it? If I had to guess I'd say it was a file system issue but it verifies fine... Curious...

2. dansai thread starter macrumors newbie

Verify results in:

Verify and Repair volume “Logic”

Performing live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking extents overflow file.
    Checking catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking catalog hierarchy.
    Checking extended attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume Logic appears to be OK.

Repair results in:

Verify and Repair volume “Logic”
    Error: Could not unmount disk

3. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

Safe boot: Restart while holding the shift key at the gray screen.

Log in, in safe boot, launch no apps but disk utility, and try to get the disk to repair.

If that doesn't work, try diskwarrior for a rebuild of the drive's file directory, and/or try techtool pro to search for bad blocks, etc.

Always have two working copies. Good luck!

4. dansai thread starter macrumors newbie

The safe boot & repair method just gave me "The volume Logic appears to be OK.". Will have a look into Disk Warrior / Techtool Pro tomorrow at work (see if we can get a license for one of them).

Maybe it's just me, but surely if Disk Utility says "The volume Logic appears to be OK." then it must be "OK"? Especially considering it's such a new drive... :confused:

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you have no backup and your data are priceless you should find professional help ASAP. Do not run the disk.