Mac pro hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by a sandwhich, Feb 12, 2010.

1. a sandwhich macrumors member

Would I be able to take the two hdds out of my current windows machine(one has os, the other storage) and place them into a mac pro and boot windows off one hdd and then use the other storage drive in both operating systems?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.
    Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

from the forum rules:

Minor Problems

3. Thread titles.

Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

Example: want to use Windows HDD from my PC in Mac Pro as Boot Camp HDD

As to the part about storage:

Windows uses NTFS and FAT32 as file systems, on newer systems most probably only NTFS.

Mac OS X uses HFS+ as a file system.

FAT 32 can be read and written to by both Windows and Mac OS X, NTFS can only be read by Mac OS X,
    unless you install the free NTFS-3G drivers,
    which will allow you to write to NTFS formatted volumes in Mac OS X.
    Direct download link.

Also know, that FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB, so no single file can be bigger than 4GB.

HFS+ can not be read or written to in Windows, unless you use Snow Leopard's Boot Camp NTFS capabilities or MacDrive.