Mac Pro HDD's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rph105, Aug 12, 2009.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

Hey there,

Just recently got myself a Mac Pro with the standard 600GB HDD, I'm thinking of buying a 1TB drive to give myself some more space.

I've decided on a Western Digital, 2 models actually and I need some help in deciding which one.

- Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
    - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

If anyone can help me out with the pros and cons of each model it would help greatly.

Thanks in advance!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The black is faster, I have the green as a Time Machine drive and it's perfect. The black is best if you're going to use it as a scratch disc. Either one, to be honest, is just fine and I recommend them both.

You failed to say what your needs are so it's hard to really say much more.

I was unaware the MPs had 600 gb drives. I thought they were 640 gb.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

As a rule bigger drives are also faster. So in current market conditions 1,5 TB drives are going to be an affordable speed bump.

Personally I tend to the greens because I don't use them for boot drive. Striktly speed wise the blacks are faster. But you could use a green and partition it for fast booting and slower mass storage. This is called short stroking. There is a thread about tis here.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

As an OS or primary content drive, the Blacks make more sense. The Greens are ideally suited to backup/archival storage, as they're not as fast (this is the area low power & the resulting lower througputs are ideal for). The throughput differences aren't what I'd call drastic, but 10MB/s can make a big difference for certain usages.

In this case, the platter density is the same, so it's the spindle speed that's the primary reason for the difference in throughput.