Mac Pro - HD's won't show in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freis968, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I have FOUR HD's and only two of them show up in Finder. They all show up in Disk Utility. Any fix for this?

UPDATE: Well, I guess if you play around with something long enough, you will find the answer. Unfortunately, I did not like the results of my fix. I fired up Disk Utility and erased both of the HD's that were not showing up. The drives unmounted and then after they were erased they remounted themselves and then showed up in the Finder. Had the drives been full of data I would have been in trouble, well, not really because I have three redundant backups plus Time Machine, but what a pain in the ass to have to do this if it should happen again. First time since Feb 2008 this has happened.

I did do a major change with my Mac Pro HD's yesterday. I replaced the main 320GB original HD that shipped with the Mac Pro with a 1TB HD and them moved the other drives around. Could this have done something? Are the internal hard drives sort of linked to the main HD that can cause this kind of problem?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The drives shouldn't be linked normally - UNLESS you have enabled Mac OS X's software RAID or have a RAID card installed.

3. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Ok, good to know, thanks.