Mac Pro Heat output

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bluefiberoptics, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Right now my current PC desktop puts out a ton of heat. I was wondering if any mac pro users could let me know how much heat the Mac Pros put out.

Thanks!

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

my mac pro puts out less heat than the dual 2ghz g5 here at the office.

but it still puts out enough heat to notice heat rising from the back of my desk

3. ljones macrumors regular

The one at work is my personal heater. The one here at home lets out a good amount from under my desk. I remember one day i closed the door by mistake, scared the hell out of me, there was a ton of heat in there.

4. ironic23 macrumors 6502

My 2.66GHz Xeon MP with 6 of the 8 available RAM slots filled with Apple RAM and 2 Seagate 250GB hard disks runs fairly cool and does not output as much heat as my 3.0GHz AMD Sun Ultra 40 M2 that has 4 of the 8 available RAM slots filled with a 250GB WD HD under similar loading scenarios (running Ansys and ProE simultaneously). I'd say that the Sun's air output is 15-20F hotter than the MP, granted that my Sun has a Quadro FX 5500 card in it that probably runs hotter than the 7300gt card that i have in my MP and that the Sun's air flow isn't as efficiently designed as the MP's.

Is there a reason why you're concerned about heat output? I'd be more concerned with how hot the internal components of the computer get as opposed to the heat output.

If you were to get the MP, you can always configure the fan speeds with SMC Control. You won't go wrong with the MP. Good luck with the decision.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I have a MacPro 2.66 with 6 gigs of ram and 4 drives, along with a 23 ACD. If I close my office door when I leave, I notice that my office is at least 10 degrees warmer than the other parts of my home. Nice during winter, but it really noticable during the summer. I think all professional computer desktops are going to put out heat.

6. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Almost 2 months back I switched up from an old G4 MDD PowerMac to a (see signature) MacPro. The old G4 put out HEAT - it was steaming after a day's work. This thing is room temperature on all sides except the processor seide which might be 75-80ºF... I can't properly tell, but it is warm to the touch on the processor side, and a far cry from being hot.

7. Kosh66 macrumors 6502