Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewcampbell

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
hi everyone.
straight off the bat i am not computer savvy which is why i come to you guys for help and guidance. I'm doing a fair amount of 3D modelling, rendering and auto cad and wanted a pc that could handle the tasks without getting slow. i have a macbook pro early 2011 which is ok but once the files start getting bigger, I'm really pushing it. i would really like to get a Mac Pro 1.1 to 5.1 but want my own configuration, if i got a mac pro 1.1 (2006) casing, how compatible are up to date components on the market to fit. starting with the motherboard, will i be greatly limited on boards that could drop in the the casing? all in all, would this be more hassle than its worth?

I've probably asked some dumb questions so i apologise :)

thanks guys

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
i would really like to get a Mac Pro 1.1 to 5.1 but want my own configuration, if i got a mac pro 1.1 (2006) casing, how compatible are up to date components on the market to fit. starting with the motherboard, will i be greatly limited on boards that could drop in the the casing? all in all, would this be more hassle than its worth?

That's not how Macs work. There is almost no parts compatibility among Mac Pro generations.

matthewcampbell

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
That's not how Macs work. There is almost no parts compatibility among Mac Pro generations.
Your first concern should more likely be whether your apps will run on the versions of OS X that can be run on a Mac Pro 1.1 (Lion 10.7.x or earlier).
maybe i didn't explained myself properly. i would like to build my own custom pc but in a Mac Pro 1.1 body(just the body)

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
maybe i didn't explained myself properly. i would like to build my own custom pc but in a Mac Pro 1.1 body(just the body)

Oh. Well I can tell you that nothing will fit correctly. You pretty much have to rip everything out and then come up with custom mounting solutions for everything. But it has been done a few times. I've heard a PowerMac G5 case is more suitable but I don't know why or anything about it really.

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
So a Windows box, just using the Mac Pro case? Nothing lines up or bolts in with standard PC parts. You can do it with a lot of dremel work, basically gutting it to an empty shell. You should find examples if you Google it. But all you end up with is a really heavy case and a pretty inelegant hack job imho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.