Mac Pro help!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hyroboarder, May 1, 2007.

1. hyroboarder macrumors member

I'm trying to decide what kind of mac to buy. I do NOT want an iMac. The reason is because for making an investment like this, I don't want to have to buy a new display each time I buy a new computer. The iMac is a cool idea and form factor, but it doesn't suit my needs. I'm leaning toward a mac pro, but I don't need quad core processing power, I don't think I need it for the programs I will be using. The reason for the mac pro is because the HD swap is amazingly simple, with the 4 included bays, and pretty much everything can be replaced (that's another reason for no imac.) With my educator discount and everything at the lowest setting on the mac pro, I can get it down to $2030. I don't want a refurbished either. What would someone suggest? I guess I'm hoping for a midsize tower from apple.

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Yeah but unfortunately I don't see any coming down the road. Although they could surprise us at WWDC! You never know.

It sounds like you already have your Mac Pro configued and good to go based on your needs and preferences.

3. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You & a whole lot of people (myself included). :)
    Not likely to happen.

People have been begging for a headless iMac for a long time now.

I'll just get a Mac Pro and be done with it...:D

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

seriously what is wrong with refurb/discount?

most of the time they're fine, they come with the same AppleCare coverage, and they are significantly cheaper when they are last-rev lower spec Mac Pros.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Why not a Mac Mini? Many things are upgradeable (HD and RAM). You don't have to upgrade the monitor. I think they are perfect for the scenario you are describing. They are a really good deal for the processing power they offer, and they are simple, small, and clean.

I ended up with a MacPro because my computation work requires it, but for home use I expect to by a Mini...whenever they get around to updating them.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

they're awful for upgrading.

i maxed out the RAM on my mini, and swapped out the hdd on it multiple times. it sucks.

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

awful because they are a mess/pain to dismantle? Sure, but you can also save yourself ~$1000 and still have a pretty good machine. Obviously, it isn't as easy to upgrade as the MacPro (nor as powerful), but *I* don't spend a lot of time upgrading. I do it once and leave it for many months. The extra $1000 saved can make-up for the pain-in-the-butt factor...for me at least.

If on the otherhand, the Mac Mini does meet one's computational needs then that is another whole matter.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

No. It's that they're so limited. Popping open the Mini and inserting a new hard drive is <5 minutes. Re-screwing in all the tiny screws takes half an hour :rolleyes:

There's nothing to fill the massive gap between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. iMacs don't count, they're retarded display-including machines, not towers. If only Apple would do something about that...

9. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I definitely agree on all counts. I just thought the OP might consider the Mini if the price of the MacPro was too steep. MacPros are a lot of machine, but they also cost quite a bit. I think the Mini would be a great idea once it is Core 2 Duo, which is what I'm waiting for.

10. aLoC macrumors 6502a

IMHO LCDs are getting better and cheaper every year at the moment. Also processor FSBs are increasing after years of stagnation, so you're likely to need a new MB with any CPU upgrade. In other words, at this point in history, it's a bad time to buy a modular computer and think you'll be able to upgrade individual components over time.

My approach for the last 2 years, and probably the next few as well, is to just buy the latest iMac every Jan, selling the old one to cover the cost. In a few years I will re-evaluate whether the technological climate is right to go back to a modular computer.

11. hyroboarder thread starter macrumors member

I'm never going to get a mac mini. The components you get with a mac pro (keyboard, mouse) make the lack of these on the mini not a good value. Also, the mini hard drives are laptop arent they? That's not good.

Also, I didn't mean to downplay what I said about app. usage, I'm still going to be using intensive video editing and photo editing. I don't know how much resources mac video editing takes compared to photoshop (because it seems everybody uses that as the "standard" for how much power you need) But still a quad core would be unbelievably fast to me because I'm on a 2001 single core dell. :)

I really like the macbook pros too. Great resolution, good dual core speed, good amount of ram standard, I love the backlit keyboards, and laptop for mobility. With a student discount I could go 1799.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

Well I got a decent 7200rpm drive in mine.

and uhh..the mouse+keyboard that comes with the mac pro is god awful..why not spring $100 and buy a new keyboard and mouse? (assuming you're gonna go upscale) my Logitech keyboard and my mx revolution mouse combined were prolly around $100. miles better than any Apple keyboard or mouse.

That being said, the Mac Pro or the MacBook Pro is more appropriate for what you want to do, so this is pretty much a useless post ;)