Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
So, how much RAM are people using when running programs like Aperture, CS2, and Lightroom on their Mac Pros. I'm interested in buying Aperture, but not if it's going to correspondingly require me to double my RAM from 2 to 4 to make it work properly (because of the extra cost).

Richard Flynn

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Sydney
So, how much RAM are people using when running programs like Aperture, CS2, and Lightroom on their Mac Pros. I'm interested in buying Aperture, but not if it's going to correspondingly require me to double my RAM from 2 to 4 to make it work properly (because of the extra cost).
I’m running Aperture with 6GB, and it’s brilliant. But even on my MBP with 2GB it runs OK. Not as smooth as on the Mac Pro, though! With 2GB on the MBP (2.13GHz Core Duo) there’s a certain degree of waiting around for previews and thumbnails to process, for filters to be applied, etc., but it’s entirely usable.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
thanks

I tried the trial, and it seemed to run ok -- lots of page outs though. I only threw 500 photos at it, and I have around 20k that I'd want to use. My guess is that I will need the extra RAM. How many photos do you have in your library?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.