Mac Pro HP z620 or rMBP (Haswell)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aloshka, Oct 16, 2013.

1. aloshka, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

aloshka macrumors 65816

Virtual machine power.. would an rMBP be enough or go mac pro? Machines will run SQL, Visual Studio and compile fairly large projects and i will have 2-3 of them. They are large (over 100-250gb in size) each

2. VinoGrande macrumors member

Mac Pro has 24 virtual cores
    rMBP has 8 rMBP virtual cores

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

1) Mac Pro is vastly more flexible for virtual machines due to both cpu and amount of RAM.
    2) Best way to install Windows for what you want to do is not virtual but bootcamp. The reason being is that in virtual, you normally would not allocate all the RAM or cores. In a virtual you would only optimize, but with bootcamp you would both optimize and maximize available resources.

4. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

2) I need multiple environments, different OS's and all running at the same time. I think you are both right in that, Mac Pro is the way to go. But now I'm also thinking HP z620 (I know, not the right place to talk about that on a Mac forum). But I can get dual 10 core (i.e. 40 virtual cores) and 12 memory banks and it won't be that expensive.

But I love the Apple eco system, but at the same time tired and frustrated with the new iPhone 5S (getting a lot of reboots for some reason). And fingerprint sensor is awful at detecting my print (I work with my hands a lot so my fingerprint changes because of dry skin ,etc).

Do any of you use Apple + Other (android, MS) ecosystems? If so, how do you handle things like iMessaging, etc.

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Nothing wrong with getting the HP. It is refreshing to see someone critical enough and honest enough to pick function over form. I have a dislike for MS and thus went to Apple's offerings. I am not an Apple fanboy but will accept some of the negatives of the Apple world because I can live with that and just have one virtual Windows (3 applications required to run in Windows) and remain on this side of the fence.

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Also to consider is how many hours will the Mac be running daily. if it's for long hours a Mac Pro can handle the long hours. For mobility the Retina Macbook Pro is perfect though for long hours of usage, too much heat may affect some hardware components in a slim enclosure.