Mac Pro/iMac/Mac Mini buying advice requested...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kk05629, Aug 30, 2007.

1. kk05629 macrumors member

Greetings...I purchased Macbook pro in July (my first mac!) and I want to ditch my Windows desktop for a "desktop" Mac.

The desktop is used for office type applications, browsing, light photo editing and light video editing (family movies occaisionally). No Games...I don't do gaming on a PC as I view it as a tool, not a toy or entertainment vehicle.

I like the MacPro alot...but honestlyfor the price...I feel like it is "driving a nail with a sledgehammer" for my usage pattern. Though I like being able to update it in the future.

I like the iMac's for it's power and design, but worry about warranty/repair when (if) I have to have it serviced...I have to take the whole iMac to a repair facility. Or it is difficult to upgrade.

I like the Mac Mini because of it's price. But worry if it will handle my light video editing.

I tried all three at the apple store...I loaded up all the apps I could think of at the store, played video, played song, switched between the actve apps, etc. I could not tell a dfference between the 3 as far as Ihow I would envision myself using it. I suppose the mac mini would take to longest to render a video and consume the most memory/processor rersources....but it should be able to handle it I would think.

My logical side says...mac Mini or iMac. The irrational side says the mac pro.

So, I am looking for input from the community to help me with my decision. Any way, I will definitely wait until Leopard is ready before I buy.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Be like Goldilocks--the iMac is juuust right for you. :)

Just get a big hard drive if you don't want to crack the thing open.

The Mini is maybe a little weak for the video editing and won't last as long and it's not *that* cheap if you buy a nice monitor and keyboard. The MacPro is overkill--only spend the money on it if you've got money to burn.

Edit: the iMac will make your logical and irrational sides happy.

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I'd say the mini.

It'll save you the most, can get the job done and you've got a Macbook Pro to fall back on if need be.

That's assuming, of course, you already have a monitor and keyboard/mouse you can use with it - if you need to start from scratch the iMac is it.

There's not one good reason to get the MacPro in your situation...

4. kk05629 thread starter macrumors member

5. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I was in the same boat as you.

I got a macbook pro earlier this year. As soon as the iMac came out, I concluding taht I wanted a desktop as well. Then, the Mini caught my eye. I already had a 23" LG monitor and an old apple keyboard.

I concluded that the while the mini was cheaper, it wasn't as good as the iMac.

So, I ended up with an entry-level iMac - the base model 20 incher. I don't see too many people owning that one on this forum. It seems as though everyone has the 24 incher or the better 20 inch. But in my opinion, the entry level is a great machine.

It is perfect for everything you need to do. I don't game. I write, surf, catalog my photos, hold my music, do light video editing and the occasional photoshop and illustrator (of which, btw, I have a non-universal version and it runs great). I just put in an extra gig of ram so that i can run parallels without slowing down os x as there are a few apps that i need to run.

Before getting the iMac, I was connecting my macbook pro to the monitor via DVI which is also a good option to consider if you want one computer and if you want to save money.

I just really liked the iMac and decided that I didn't mind having two machines - one to work with at home and one to surf from the sofa or head to a starbucks and work from.

My two cents.

6. tripnbob macrumors newbie

Mac Mini, Mac Pro or iMac

FOR YOUR USE, THE TWO SOLUTIONS FOR YOU WOULD OBVIOUSLY BE THE MINI OR THE iMAC. BOTH WERE RECENTLY UPDATED AND WOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE MOST THINGS, JUST DONT THROW FINAL CUT ON THE MINI! THE MAC MINI IS NOW INTEL CORE 2 DUO, SO IT'S A NICE STEP FROM THE LAST MODEL, BASICALLY ITS A LAPTOP IN A BOX....THE iMAC HOWEVER IS A BEAUTIFUL PEICE OF EQUIPMENT. EVERYONE AT THE APPLE STORE IS IN LOVE WITH THE NEW DESIGN, AND FUNCTIONALITY OF THE IMAC. MY ADVICE FOR YOU IS TO SPEND THE EXTRA THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS AND GET AN IMPRESSIVE MACHINE THAT YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH. FOR 1199 YOU GET 20" DISPLAY WITH NICE INSIDES ;). OVER ALL I KNOW YOU WILL BE HAPPIER WITH SOMETHING COMPLETELY FROM APPLE IN AN ALL IN ONE DESIGN, RATHER THAN HAVING A MAC PRO OR MAC MINI WITH SEVERAL ATTACHMENTS AND WIRES EVERYWHERE! I'VE SEEN A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GET RID OF THERE PC, AND I MEAN REALLY GET RID OF IT. JUST START FRESH. THE MAC PRO IS VERY NICE, BUT IT'S HUGE AND OVERWHELMINGLY MORE THAN THE AVERAGE CONSUMER WILL EVER NEED IN THIS DECADE, PLUS YOU HAVE TO ADD AIRPORT AND BLUETOOTH TO IT.

GET THE iMAC 20" 2.4 IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE FUTURE, THIS COMPUTER IS FASTER THAN ANY PC ON THE MARKET. AT 320 GB OF HARD DRIVE YOU ARE ALL SET. THE ONLY THING YOU MIGHT WANT TO ADD IS ANOTHER GIG OF RAM, AND THAT IS EASY. THERE IS A SMALL SLOT UNDER THE SCREEN THAT PULLS OUT... ALL YOU DO IS BUY 1GB RAM STICK AND PUT IT NEXT TO ITS BROTHER, IT ALREADY COMES WITH 1, ONE GB STICK.

IF YOU WERE TO GET THE 2.0 iMAC MODEL, YOU WOULD BE OKAY TOO, HONESTLY I DONT THINK YOU WOULD NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO UNLESS YOU STARRED TO DO SOME HIGHER END THINGS.

OKAY, IF YOU GET THE MAC MINI, IT'S IMPORTANT TO MAX THE THING OUT, IT'S KINDA A MEDIOCRE CPU WITH OUT IT, AGAIN JUST LIKE A WHITE MACBOOK. BUT, ITS ECONOMICALLY BETTER TO GET THE IMAC.

NOW YOUR CONCERN WAS REPAIRS... COOL THING IS MACS DON'T REALLY BREAK THAT OFTEN, BUT AS LONG AS YOU HAVE APPLE CARE, YOU ARE ALL SET. ITS NOT REALLY A BIG DEAL IF YOU HAVE TO BRING AN IMAC INTO THE STORE FOR A REPAIR IT DOESN'T HAPPEN THAT OFTEN AND APPLE PROTECTS YOUR COMPUTER FOR ALMOST ANYTHING. AS FAR AS UPGRADING YOUR CPU, DO IT WHEN YOU BUY IT, THAT'S THE BEST WAY! YOU PROBABLY WON'T NEED TO TOUCH IT THEREAFTER.

OKAY HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL.

7. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Yikes! Raise your left hand from the keyboard. You see that, there? Just above the [shift] key? That's your Caps Lock - you really, really need to disengage it ...

Cheers

Jim

8. gvg45 macrumors member

lol...

9. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Sounds like the Mini would be great for you... or, just hook up that monitor to your MacBook Pro and use it as a desktop machine when you want to.

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Once you add the DVD writer (Superdrive option) a new keyboard and a Firewire drive to store your video projects, the price difference between a Mini and iMac becomes quite small for what you get in return. Unless you have budget limitations, I'd go for iMac. Still, I admit, Mini small form factor does have its advantages.

11. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Also, keep in mind that you can connect your Viewsonic monitor to your iMac for extra screen estate.
    However, you should also consider getting a dock (http://www.bookendzdocks.com/) and just use your exisiting mbp as a desktop. You can get an external hd if you need more storage. That way, you can just pop the mbp in when you're at home, then take it with you anytime. All your stuff would be on the same computer. The mbp is more powerful than the mac mini and just as good as the iMac. Even though the dock is pretty expensive, its still a lot cheaper than getting a whole computer.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2