Mac Pro... iMac... USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MSM Hobbes, Mar 2, 2010.

1. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    I've a ~2.5 yo white 24" iMac and a ~2.5 yo white MB. Between woman, two boys, and I, we do much surfing, school work [MS, HS, and college prep], work stuff [MS PPT, Excel, MiniTab, Word, etc.], music playing & editing, and video & RAW photo processing / editing, along with some game playing - both on-line and local. Absolutely love the iMac, and am now [after the yellow tinting and grey bars are decreasing / gone] looking at the 27".

But, had the thought too of going to the MP, due to its expandability and so much more extra power, mainly for long-term use... yet, the cost of a upper 4-core + a quality monitor is ~2.5-3x the 27" top line iMac. One reason why looking at MP is that, for example, when editing / processing RAW photos on the iMac [all images (80k some) are stored on a Buffalo external HD via FW], at times processing is quite buggery... using iPhoto and/or PS Elements. Have SL, latest most recent updates to all components.

So, w/ that background, the best bang for the buck, considering long-term life, given what we use these computers for, best recommendation?

Lastly, what w/ USB 3.0 supposedly being released sometime this year, any thoughts on it, when it could be included in iMac and/or Mac Pro? Don't like the thought of getting computer now, and 3 months later or so this semi-important upgrade is out...

PS: take also into account MP is due for upgrade and new release, and the iMac is in mid-cycle.
  2. R.Perez macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    The only thing I can say is that I really happy with my quad core iMac.

I would love USB 3.0 but I don't really see that happening real soon.

Possibly in the pro line, but really its hard to say.

I could have afforded a Mac Pro but it was pretty hard to justify the extra cost

given the performance difference, at least for myself.
  3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    Not much difference between the i7 iMac and quad-core Mac Pro, especially given the prices.

USB 3.0 is doubtful until Intel provides it in their chipsets next year.
  4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2009
    You could increase your editing & processing time by switching to an application better designed to handle photos, like Lightroom or Aperture.

Seems like a $200 no brainer to me.

A new i5 or i7 with 8 gigs of ram (that you add yourself for $100) should blow circles around your 24" iMac doing those tasks.

I just dont see the MP benefiting you right away.
  5. MSM Hobbes thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    Thanks all for replies... confirming what brain was saying, but not the heart - that greedy thing! ;)