Mac Pro/imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevenfarrisohi, May 11, 2008.

1. stevenfarrisohi macrumors newbie

I have been undecided as to which system I should buy. I use my PC daily for school, work, web surfing, and for moderate multimedia programs. I have diabetes and some vision problems and the IMAC screen is fantastic for me. Then I wonder if I would be better suited to get a MAC PRO and set it up with two 24" monitors? I want a computer that will last me more than three years and at the same time I do not see me needing to expand other than a total of four megs of RAM. If I go with the IMAC, I can purchase a MacBook Pro in the fall and if I go with the MAC PRO - That is it! Any suggestions? I feel like I am a "tweener" between the IMAC and MAC PRO!

UGGGH!

2. Mac In School macrumors 65816

You sound like an iMac to me. Based on what you're going to do, the extra beef of the Mac Pro would probably be wasted.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I think that you would best be suited by an iMac seeing as not much of anything you'll be doing or will foreseeably do in the future will warrant the purchase of a Mac Pro. You could set up an iMac with another monitor if you wanted to have two anyway. The Mac Pro is a workstation intended for heavy loads of processing, but you to me seem more like the average user who would see pretty much no difference between an iMac and Mac Pro in practical use. Save yourself some space and money and get the iMac. Also, unless you really need a MacBook Pro, you could probably go with a regular MacBook, seeing as screen size doesn't necessarily mean a display that's easier on the eyes. Go with the iMac, or maybe just get a MacBook Pro and hook that up to a monitor, it's pretty much an iMac to go, so that might be better for you, as I know it's an organizational nightmare to deal with two machines.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds like an iMac would be a great computer for you stevenfarrisohi. :)

5. mrwindup macrumors member

Get the iMac now. Like you said, if you are getting the MBP in the fall, there will another update for it.

6. stevenfarrisohi thread starter macrumors newbie