mac pro in apple store

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sbb155, Jul 18, 2009.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

Looked at the mac pro in an apple store today in the midwest. I was speaking with one of the sales people... the following comments were made:
    "to run windows and osx, you need two processors"
    "to run two monitors you need the dual processor version"
    and
    "speed-wise, to get the equivalent of a core 2 duo mac book pro at 2.93, you need a dual processor 2.93 mac pro"

Is apple pushing the octo via their sales people? This was an aggressive sales pitch, and i mentioned that i had a dual 2.66 2006 mac pro already. It seems like all of the comments were misinformation.

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

To run windows and OSX it would be faster to have two processors, but it is not necessary.

To run two monitors I don't think it makes much difference.

Speed wise...what the heck? That makes no sense/

That guy was either A. on drugs. B. getting a commission and really wanted the money. C. out to lunch

Your pick but he is totally wrong.

3. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I would report that liar/idiot to the management in the form of a printed letter.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

1. No. Both OSes would benefit speed-wise though.

2. No. That is completely wrong. You only need a GPU with two connectors.

3. What the hell is that? Where'd this guy get that **** from? I hope he was just playing because everyone knows a Nehalem Xeon is much, much better than a a plain Penryn C2D.

I'd send a (angry) letter to the manager of that store. All those statements a false.

5. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

You just cannot trust anything they tell you in an apple retail store... wow

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If the Apple rep is not being honest on what you need and trying to over sell you for no reason I would go elsewhere. I would purchase the machine from an "Apple authorized Resller" or even go as far as to pick up a slightly used machine.

When someone in a store misleads me, I leave. They do not get my business, period.

7. sbb155 thread starter macrumors 6502

The scary thing, is that maybe he wasnt trying to mislead me - i think he really believed what he was saying. He was really convincing on the 2.93 argument, he said that the lower end mac pros are equivalent to the lower end macbook pros, and the higher end mac pros are the same speed as the high end macbook pros. He was trying to tell me that if I was looking at the 17" 2.93, then I need a 2.93 dual mac pro... He did not sound like he was lying - rather he sounded like he really believed what he said... wow...

I think they cater to the ipod/iphone/13" crowd in apple stores, not pros who need pro equipment. can you imagine if i had asked for an xserve??

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Agreed.

He's probably say "What's that?"

9. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

10. noushy macrumors regular

Wow!

That is the dumbest list of things I have heard yet about the new Mac Pro. As my colleagues above have mentioned,

(1) You can run bootcamp/Windows on any Intel mac, period. One proc, two procs, core2, core2 quad, corei7 (nehalem). Even a core solo.

(2) a 2.93 core2 would be no match performance wise against any of the nehalem procs. They have a much wider memory bandwidth, (tri channel DDR3 1066 vs. dual channel DDR3 1066 at best), direct memory controller, and they are QUAD core procs. That guy at the Apple store must be stoned.

(3) as some of the data out there has shown, a 2.26 dual proc nehalem keeps up well with the 2008 Mac Pro machines. Again a testament to the Core i7 architecture.

(4) in order to run dual LED cinema displays, you would need two video cards, since every new apple video card has only one mini displayport connector. To run two standard dvi monitors, any of the configurations would work, with only 1 video card (they all have dual dvi connectors or one dvi and one mini dp connector which would require an adapter).

Peace,
    Noushy

11. brentsg macrumors 68040

fixed

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Fixed that for you. This isn't an apple only thing,there are "bad" sales people any place you shop.:rolleyes:

13. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

14. OZMP macrumors 6502

your macpro you own now is faster than any of the mac book pro's :p

did this monkey not comprehend that there are different kinds of processor architectures? FSB speeds, new MP has no FSB etc

PHP:
    (4in order to run dual LED cinema displaysyou would need two video cardssince every new apple video card has only one mini displayport connectorTo run two standard dvi monitorsany of the configurations would workwith only 1 video card (they all have dual dvi connectors or one dvi and one mini dp connector which would require an adapter).
    i know you can get mini dislpay port to DVI, but can you get DVI to minidisplay port?