Mac Pro in place of iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lucagfc, May 4, 2010.

1. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

HI

I tried to buy an iMac i7. Would be my perfect computer: excellent performance and great screen. The problem of yellow tint not allowed me to keep it. Now I would like to find a machine with similar performance and monitor with this quality. The MacPro should be comparable for preformance but the Cinema Display 24, however, is not. Can anyone help me?
    I use my computer for internet, mail ecc and now for Aperture with RAW manipulation (really frustrating on my MBP).

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Depending which Mac Pro you intend to get, they can be considerably faster than the i7 iMac.

Since the screen of the iMac is a 27" screen, you could get the new 27" Dell monitor. It has the same panel but is matte (which should be better for you) and has a standard CCFL backlight.

You could also go 30". Gives you a little more real estate and you have more options (Apple, Dell, HP, NEC, Eizo, Samsung, you name it).

3. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I've a very little budget. with the refund of iMac 27" I can buy only the basic MAc Pro model. the standard configuration. Can you tell me more abiut dell and other moonitor? wich is the price of that? is IPS tecnology display? thanks!

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you aren't looking for PCI expansion, or 8-Cores of Intel goodness, then you should really look into getting the much more cost effective 27" iMac. I am sure Apple has lots that don't have a yellow tint.

5. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple probably has some perfect iMac. I just returned my fifth replacement and now I do not want to start this new series of expeditions by ordering a new iMac! the chanche that the new iMAc will have yellow tint is really high!

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

To switch over to a MP, you will spend more $$$, as it tends to be more (perhaps a refurbished would be your best bet cost wise), and you'd need a new monitor.

IPS isn't the least expensive monitor tech out there, and if you're on a tight budget, 24" is likely the best you'll do. The HP LP2475w would be one to look into, but it will almost certainly need calibration OTB (I've no idea if you want to do that by eye, or have a color calibration device - resembles a "puck" - on hand).

There are other monitors possible though, but I can't recall the model #'s just now. :(

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

That's the Dell U2711. It's not LED backlit but that might be a good thing if the screen yellowing has anything to do with the backlighting.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The iMac seems to be a very nice deal right now BUT I always liked the Mac Pros better due to its expandability and your decision to use any monitor.

10. strausd macrumors 68030

You might want to consider waiting til the 2010 Mac Pro. Not only will they be faster, there is a chance that they will lower the price of the entry level Mac Pro by using a single quad-core processor instead of a hexa-core. With the lowered cost you might be able to fit a better quality monitor in your budget.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm thinking that base model would have a slightly faster CPU (W3530 @ 2.8GHz), a slight increase in HDD capacity, and a newer graphics card for the same MSRP (i.e. 750GB and GT220). Buyers would get a little more bang-for-the-buck than the current base Quad, so if possible, it's worth waiting IMO.

12. covrc macrumors member

In Agreement

Lucagfc, I have to agree with you. Our i7 iMac stories are the same. Yellowing on the screen 5 times. Those who have only read about and have not suffered the disappointment of receiving defective screens multiple times know not what they speak of. And then waiting 5 weeks for a refund. I too am looking an Mac Pro. I will buy as much MP as I can and then get a serviceable monitor all the while knowing that I am saving for a higher end monitor and will use the serviceable one as a tool screen eventually.
    Good Luck with your search.

13. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that I' m going to wait the 2010 Mac Pro and then choose the "best"s solution for my needs....probably with the same price of my iMac i7 I can buy entry level Mac Pro and in the future, when I can, I will buy a good monitor (Cinema Display 24" or 27").

But for now, my 2.26 ghz MacBook Pro is really slow....I' m going to order 4 Gb of ram and I want to install a better HDD.

I can buy 7200 rpm HDD or a solid state disk. With 200 $ i can buy an intel x-25m G2 80 Gb. Wich is the best solution? SSD i suppose?

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

If you can live with the small space the Intel SSD will be the best upgrade you could make, along with 4gb of ram. Just look at the MB Pro forum, everyone and his dog praises the Intel SSD drives!!
    If you are able to make those upgrades I would think you'll fine the computer very usable, and i would wait for the new Mac Pros if you can, I mean, they eventually updated the laptops, the towers can't far behind?

15. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

The Small space is a problem but my idea is to install an SSD in the MacBook and install on it the system and the application. Other stuff (like music, video ecc) will be stored in an external firewire disk.