Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hello all. My employer may finally have to cave and get a mac for video use. Our videographer switched to final cut and we are starting a digital video library... we want to have all the b-roll and full footage to edit down ourselves and encode into the proper format as needed for quick implementation into powerpoints and what not.

My question is, will the macpro give off so much heat that it will heat up a small office? I know the PowerMac G5s gave off a healthy amount of heat and I was wondering if this was addressed with the MacPro. I guess I'm just looking for opinions from those who used PowerMac G5s in the past and now have a MacPro... especially those who used them in small spaces. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Does the office have Windows? or AC?

I am going to have to go with no on the heat up the room thing, my studio is like 15x15 and my Mac Pro doesnt change the temp of the room. Not even the area under my desk.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Chrispy said:
Hello all. My employer may finally have to cave and get a mac for video use. Our videographer switched to final cut and we are starting a digital video library... we want to have all the b-roll and full footage to edit down ourselves and encode into the proper format as needed for quick implementation into powerpoints and what not.

My question is, will the macpro give off so much heat that it will heat up a small office? I know the PowerMac G5s gave off a healthy amount of heat and I was wondering if this was addressed with the MacPro. I guess I'm just looking for opinions from those who used PowerMac G5s in the past and now have a MacPro... especially those who used them in small spaces. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

No direct experience, but the Woodcrest chips in the Mac Pro are EXTREMELY cool. The 2.0 and 2.66 GHz versions are slightly cooler than the 3GHZ versions, but either way the Mac Pro has a reputation for being cool and quiet. The fans take care of everything and even then they don't run too much depending on your situation.

Remember the G5s needed liquid cooling and they still were a good space heater replacement :D

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
suneohair said:
Does the office have Windows? or AC?

I am going to have to go with no on the heat up the room thing, my studio is like 15x15 and my Mac Pro doesnt change the temp of the room. Not even the area under my desk.

We can't open the windows and the AC thermonstat is for multiple offices at once so I can't just crank it up haha.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
dmw007 said:
'Tis true, my 2.3GHz DP Power Mac G5 did an admirable job heating my room all year long. :rolleyes: :D

Yeah that is why I was wondering about the MacPro... my dual 2.0 powermac I had for awhile really heated up my room. Nice in the winter... very bad in the summer haha.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Chrispy said:
Yeah that is why I was wondering about the MacPro... my dual 2.0 powermac I had for awhile really heated up my room. Nice in the winter... very bad in the summer haha.

I have a dual Xeon 3Ghz PC box which I build with 3x SCSI drives and an X800XT-PE in there and in a 10x9 home office, it can heat up the room significantly. In the winter its ok but in the summer its torture. Aircon does nothing to help either.

I do have a 21" Trinitron on the computer but its not the major source of heat. I did some power consumption test and its about 150w for the monitor and 290W for the computer (idle) and 390W load.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
contoursvt said:
I have a dual Xeon 3Ghz PC box which I build with 3x SCSI drives and an X800XT-PE in there and in a 10x9 home office, it can heat up the room significantly. In the winter its ok but in the summer its torture. Aircon does nothing to help either.

I do have a 21" Trinitron on the computer but its not the major source of heat. I did some power consumption test and its about 150w for the monitor and 290W for the computer (idle) and 390W load.

Which xeons though? I'm guessing not woodcrest because if it was, you would have no winter experience.

I'm guessing you might have had the Xeon-MP Potomac core? released end of march 2005, each chip had a TDP about that of TWO woodcrests.

Or if it was a dual core xeon, Paxville-MP has a TDP surpassing any woodcrest pair in existence.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i was wondering about this too. I live in the dorms at school and i'm debating about a 3GHZ mac pro or a 24" iMac. The imac i would have no problem with the mac pro on the other hand would be on the floor next to my desk on the to my bed, (i'll take a picture later way to late...) you think it will be bad spot for it....

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Silentwave said:
Which xeons though? I'm guessing not woodcrest because if it was, you would have no winter experience.

I'm guessing you might have had the Xeon-MP Potomac core? released end of march 2005, each chip had a TDP about that of TWO woodcrests.

Or if it was a dual core xeon, Paxville-MP has a TDP surpassing any woodcrest pair in existence.

My Xeons are older Noconas...well not that old but old enough not to be cutting edge. Love the box. Fast, reliable and surprisingly as long as the fans dont kick in at the threshold temperature I set (36C internal case temp and 63C CPU temps). In the summer, it always comes on every few mins at a full roar due to internal case temps going beyond 36C. Mind you at that point my room temps are 30C so what do you expect :)

Anyway here is the box:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

PS never mind the childrens wallpaper in my home office there...still have not gotten around to painting the room after moving into the house.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Wow contoursvt! And I thought the old Powermacs had a lot of fans lol! I only have the CPU fan, the fan on my GPU and the power supply fan in my core 2 duo system and the CPU never get warmer than 55C. Those Core 2 Duo CPUs run coooool.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
miles01110 said:
From what I hear the Xeons don't run very hot.

I hope you're right. I'm replacing a liquid cooled dual 2.5 GHz G5 that is more like a space heater than I'd like. I resorted to sticking it on the far side of my desk and using an extension cable to connect my ACD. It's still too hot, but at least it's not directly in front of my crotch...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
zwida said:
I hope you're right. I'm replacing a liquid cooled dual 2.5 GHz G5 that is more like a space heater than I'd like. I resorted to sticking it on the far side of my desk and using an extension cable to connect my ACD. It's still too hot, but at least it's not directly in front of my crotch...

A Mac Pro should be a good deal cooler than your Power Mac G5 zwida. :)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
So far things sound good. I had a good feeling about it as my core 2 duo system runs VERY cool.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
would a mac pro fit good here. Not really size but in cooling. I see a lot of setups with the G5 and MP on the desk, do you think it will effect it. I plan on putting it where the trash can/lamp are.
Will it have a problem with head?

Attachments

• DSCN0214.JPG
    DSCN0214.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.