Mac Pro inside desk will it get too hot?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SLR2009, Mar 21, 2009.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi, I plan on putting my quad Core Mac Pro inside my desk. It's completely open in the front but the sides and back are closed in. Will it get too hot for the computer? Thanks

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

It depends... It gets hot if you put it on a carpet because of all the dust and stuff...

3. justit macrumors 6502a

We've had PC hard drives at work go bad after about a year and a half. Hard drives can't handle sustained heat for long periods of time.

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yes, very bad idea. Any computer depends on proper air-flow through the machine to keep it cool. Heat is the number #1 killer of computers and lack of proper ventilation will shorten it's life. Your Mom's Celeron Dell might work under such conditions, but I wouldn't put a dual CPU or high-end workstation of any description in such an enclosure.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Closed back = No-no. The Mac Pro relies almost entirely on blowing hot air out the back of the case to keep cool. Keep it at least 6-10 inches from the wall too.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

just want to echo what's already been said. putting it in a closed back area is a no-no

7. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I don't think any full tower desktop will A) fit in a desk, B) ever get close to enough cooling. My Pentium 4 linux box with 5 fans even over heats when I put it in my desk. (but it does make a nice desk warmer.)

8. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

the issue is that I don't really have any other place to put the computer if I want the 24" LED Display to reach. Would it be ok if I sawed off the back of the desk?

9. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

YES

or plonk your MP on the desk (if you have space) with adequate rear space for proper airflow

10. tomhayes macrumors newbie

That's what I did. I cut a large hole in the back , AND there's an area where the sides can't be seen while look at the front and I drilled a series of holes in it (like you see on boxes that have animals inside of them.)

My desk is 10 years old, but Plummers makes a version (with an AWFUL hutch) you can see at: http://www.plummersfurniture.com/?p...6&ps_session=a84fc311507e46d48339ef641d09bc73

11. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

I regard my pretty secretary as the best desk warmer possible :p

12. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

He he :)

13. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. It looks like I'll be making an opening in the back of the desk behind the computer. How big should the opening be? the width and height of the computer?

One question, do they sell fans that you could put inside the opening of the desk so that it blows the heat outside?

Would it even be necessary if I make an opening in the back?

Again thanks for the comments.

14. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Just cut out the entire back section where the computer will be. Don't try and size the hole to fit - just get rid of it all.

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

that might be good. I'd still be a little nervous about having it in a desk even with a hole in the back. but having an exhaust fan for the desk sounds like a good idea.

You'd just have to leave plenty of room between the back of the desk and the wall.

16. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Would something like this work? Link

Any other external fans that I should consider or would that do the trick?

Would the usb powered fan that's plugged into the computer decrease it's performance if the fan's running all the time?

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That wouldn't really do much, the Mac Pro has 3 of those fans IIRC :p

I can't suggest this is a good idea, it will cook pretty easily when under stress.

18. fohawk17 macrumors regular

fohawk17

You can prolly take a regular box fan and put it behind the MP

19. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

My desk has a CPU caddy on the bottom (but its opening barely clears the top of the machine), but the desk itself is open glass, so plenty of airflow reaches the front and back my Mac Pro. Plus, the room is well air conditioned. The machine is always cool to the touch and my CPU temps never really exceed 110 degrees F, even under heavy load.

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

I do agree that heat can be a bad thing, but as a random data point, the Apple Store near me has a Mac Pro that runs the monitors over the Genius Bar, and that thing is in a closed cabinet under the bar where the Pro has about an inch of room on the front and the back, and zero room on the side. Been running strong for the last two years, despite the odds going against it. :eek: