Mac Pro Insomniac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Wild-Bill, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Interesting issue I've just discovered in Snow Leopard. For some reason my Mac Pro is waking from sleep on its own. Furthermore, it won't go to sleep on its own after the set duration (3 hours). When I manually put it to sleep it wakes up again at some point. I come into the living room and bam, it's on. Weird..... I haven't noticed any unusual processes running that would cause this. And when I put it to sleep I have no apps running.

Anyone else notice this?? :confused:

My Mac Pro could sleep on a dime prior to SL.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what peripherals do you have plugged into your MP?

3. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

Anything else running on the network that might trigger WOL?

4. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The peripherals I have hooked up are the aluminum Apple USB keyboard, plugged into the USB port of my Dell 2209WA monitor, a Logitech Quickcam plugged into the USB of the MP, and a Logitech MX Revolution. I also have a MOTU Ultralite audio interface plugged in via firewire but that is off most of the time.

These are the same peripherals in the same configuration I had prior to the Snow Leopard upgrade. Also, "Wake for Ethernet Network Access" is disabled in Energy Saver.

I can't for the life of me figure out why it's waking up on its own.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

take out all your peripherals and see if it still does it. wierd i know but a lot of the problems are caused by certain peripherals mucking up.

also, make sure that you dont have any ical events or any other event in other programs running in the background or set to go off.

do you have any external HDDs connected?

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah that's actually supposed to be a feature. Sleep your mac, insert memory card for pics or whatever, and it auto-wakes. So if something on the USB makes noise or something...

7. benborman macrumors member

I have noticed a similar problem since upgrading to SL. My Mac Pro will wake up everything but the monitors,and then drop back into sleep. The fans kick on, hard drives spin up, then everything returns to sleep. So weird.

Even weirder is the other day I was printing from Vista via VMWare Fusion on my Mac, and the printer stopped responding, so I shut down VMWare and put the computer to sleep. Multiple times throughout the night, the Mac Pro would wake up, print a page, then return to sleep.

Try figuring that one out!

Note: the waking issue persists after 10.6.1

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

How is the computer supposed to sleep when the USB peripherals are making noise all night long!!!! So distracting!

P.S. - I am having my own sleep issues. It takes like 30 seconds for my mac pro to fall asleep once I click "sleep".