Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
he has show how it helps so you show us your results how it HURTS

I don't have to... He admits he slanted the test in the first paragraph.

He's basically trying to benchmark the kernel as directly as possible, taking any normal slowdowns out of the equation. Again, he admits this. I don't have to prove anything.

Honumaui

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I don't have to... He admits he slanted the test in the first paragraph.

He's basically trying to benchmark the kernel as directly as possible, taking any normal slowdowns out of the equation. Again, he admits this. I don't have to prove anything.

he did not slant it those are your words

this is what he said
Most tests on this page are insensitive to disk speed. A few are somewhat sensitive to disk speed; all were run using a 4-drive RAID stripe so as to eliminate disk speed as a factor.

wow imagine talking about a kernel in 64 or 32 and trying to keep it to the kernel !!!

and also many photographers do use raids :)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
B]wow imagine talking about a kernel in 64 or 32 and trying to keep it to the kernel !!! [/B]

and also many photographers do use raids :)

It simply isn't average use. He's eliminating disk latency as a consideration, and if you had average disk latency, the scores would be much much much closer. Disk latency is much more important of a factor than kernel speeds. It's just simply not realistic for most users.

With regards to most photographers using RAID, it would have to be an internal RAID or an ESATA RAID to see this sort of improvement. It's just simply not realistic for 99% of users.

Honumaui

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
It simply isn't average use. He's eliminating disk latency as a consideration, and if you had average disk latency, the scores would be much much much closer. Disk latency is much more important of a factor than kernel speeds. It's just simply not realistic for most users.

With regards to most photographers using RAID, it would have to be an internal RAID or an ESATA RAID to see this sort of improvement. It's just simply not realistic for 99% of users.

since it is about the OS in 64 though vs 32 it makes sense to try to keep it about that ?

this was not a test of how drive choice figures into things ? thats a whole other thing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.